Movie: “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest”  » Movies  »
  • I think the mental institution portrayed in this movie is a fairly accurate depiction of the way mental hospitals actually were, decades ago
  • I was a bit disappointed by the supposed villain, the robotic Nurse Ratched
  • All in all, though, this is an excellent film and I highly recommend it

• by TJ Lord

I recently saw the classic movie “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest” for the first time. I can now understand why it’s a classic. The deeply disturbing story with its tragic, haunting twist ending has lingered in my mind days after watching it.

My husband picked the movie out for us to watch, because lately I’ve been doing research on insanity and mental institutions. I think the mental

institution portrayed in this movie is a fairly accurate depiction of the way mental hospitals actually were, decades ago. I was terrified and horrified by some of the extreme measures used to supposed help and/or cure patients - the electroshock therapy was bad enough, but the lobotomy was almost too much to bear. I almost can’t believe it, but I must say that after having seen this ...

• movie, I feel motivated to further my research.

I loved the character development in this movie. Of course, the brilliant Nicholson magnificently portrays McMurphy, the dangerous criminal who may or may not truly be insane. Chief was another powerful character; is he really deaf and dumb, or is it just an act? I felt deep empathy for the confused and stuttering young man Billy, and his fate was

especially tragic.

I was a bit disappointed by the supposed villain, the robotic Nurse Ratched. I was expecting a cold and forbidding monster, a demon in a white dress, but instead, she was just mechanical. I don’t know if it was the actress who portrayed her, or the actual character; but I was expecting a darker figure. All in all, though, this is an excellent film and I highly recommend it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 11206719750430/k2311a062/6.2.09