The Yamaha RGX220DZ Electric Guitar
  • I found its tone thin and lacking warmth and brightness when played clean using the bridge pickup
  • This is the only setback I found in this guitar and this unfortunately is a problem which made me lose interest in it

• by 6clix

The RGX220DZ is a 24 fret electrical guitar from Yamaha. I was able to test one a few weeks ago when I went looking for a new guitar. I was looking for an electric guitar with 24 frets and double locking tremolo and the Yamaha RGX220DZ had both so it was my first choice. It comes with a soft case or gig bag and has two humbucking pickups. It has two control knobs, one for master volume and another one for master tone and has a 3-position pickup switch.

The Yamaha RGX220DZ has an alder body and a maple neck with rosewood fingerboard. The guitar that I tested was Metallic black and I liked the way it looked.

The Yamaha RGX220DZ

has a very thin neck which is good for playing fast and access to the higher frets is very easy. I had no problems playing fast at the higher frets, or at any frets for that matter. The locking tremolo bridge stayed pretty much in tune even when I played lots of dive bombs and bar flutters. I really liked the feel of the neck and body of the Yamaha RGX220DZ and the one that I tested was set-up pretty well. The action was very low but there was no string buzz anywhere on the neck.

What I didn’t like about the Yamaha RGX220DZ was its tone. I played it through a Roland guitar amplifier and it sounded horrible. I ...

• switched amps and played it through a 75-watt Line 6 Spider and it sounded better. The humbucking pickups sound okay if played with heavy distortion. This guitar would be a good choice if you play heavy metal since its humbucking pickups sound good when playing heavy riffs.

I was, however, looking for a guitar with a good versatile tone and the Yamaha RGX220DZ doesn’t have it. I found its tone thin and lacking warmth and brightness when played clean using the bridge pickup. It doesn’t have a single coil pickup so its already not-so-good-sounding tone tends to sound monotonous. This guitar would benefit much if its pickups were replaced with, say, dimarzzio pickups. This is the only setback I found

in this guitar and this unfortunately is a problem which made me lose interest in it.

Overall, the Yamaha RGX220DZ would have been a great guitar were it not for its lousy tone. It has all the qualities that I look for in a guitar and it was in fact what I wanted to buy, until I heard its tone. I instead bought a Godin Freeway Classic since it sounds good and it has two humbucking pickups and a single coil pickup in the middle giving it a versatile sound. It doesn’t have double locking tremolo like the Yamaha RGX220DZ and it only has 22 frets but it has the one thing that really matters: good tone so I bought it instead.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 16206718300230/k2311a062/6.2.09