The Godin Freeway Classic Electric Guitar  » Electronics  »
  • I bought a Godin Freeway Classic Electric Guitar a few days ago since I officially retired my other guitar
  • I tested a few guitars and I initially opted for one with a double locking tremolo system with twenty-four frets but when I tested the Godin Freeway Classic, I was surprised and impressed by its tone
  • It's one of the best soft cases I've seen for an electric guitar
  • What I don't like about the Freeway Classic is the way the neck is bolted on to the body
  • But this is just a minor problem which is outweighed by the good qualities of this guitar

• by 6clix

Godin is a fairly new company that makes electric guitars. I bought a Godin Freeway Classic Electric Guitar a few days ago since I officially “retired” my other guitar. I tested a few guitars and I initially opted for one with a double locking tremolo system with twenty-four frets but when I tested the Godin Freeway Classic, I was surprised and impressed by its tone. I immediately knew that I was going to buy that guitar.

The Godin Freeway Classic comes with a soft case and wrenches for bridge and other adjustments. The case is very well constructed and is padded well. It has several compartments for wires, straps, a stomp box or two, and other stuff you might need for a gig. It has two straps that allow you to carry it like a nap sack

and it has a removable cushion that protects the neck of the guitar. It’s one of the best soft cases I’ve seen for an electric guitar.

The Godin Freeway Classic is a twenty-two fret electric guitar with two humbucking pickups and a single coil pickup in the middle. It has a master volume knob and a tone knob. It has a five position pickup switch and a vintage style tremolo bridge with a tremolo bar. The pickups are all Godin pickups that deliver good tone, which I would say is the Freeway Classic’s strength.

The humbucking pickup at the bridge delivers a nice, bright, clean tone. The other humbucker at the neck delivers a pretty clean, warm tone. The humbuckers sound great with distortion and are really good for playing power chords, especially the bridge humbucker.

• The neck humbucker has a good warm tone when played with distortion or overdrive and is pretty good for bluesy licks. The single coil pickup adds a “Strat” flavor to the guitar’s tone.

What I don’t like about the Freeway Classic is the way the neck is bolted on to the body. It’s bolted on near the 15th fret, making it hard to play at the higher frets. I find this a bit disappointing since I like to play at the higher frets. Because of the way the neck is bolted on to the body, the heel or the part of the body that bolts on to the neck sticks out near the 15th fret and this obstructs your thumb when your playing at the higher frets.

I had a Stratocaster before and its neck is bolted on

to the body near the 17th fret. This clearly shows that it’s easier to play a Stratocaster with only twenty-one frets as opposed to the Godin Freeway Classic which has twenty-two frets. Having more frets is supposed to make access to the higher frets easier but this is clearly not the case with the Freeway Classic.

Overall, the Godin Freeway Classic is a very good guitar. It has good tone and it looks good as well. Mine has a black body and it looks really good with its metal knobs and hardware. It also weighs much lighter than other guitars I’ve played. My only complaint is, as I’ve mentioned, the way the neck is bolted on to the body. But this is just a minor problem which is outweighed by the good qualities of this guitar.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 16206718290230/k2311a062/6.2.09