The obscene bird of night by José Donoso
  • So relax, sit tight, and just let me tell you, as a starter, that this book, in my opinion, is schizophrenia on paper
  • I know that José Donoso took 8 years to write this book, but the trigger, the core from which this whole alternate universe exploded was, in his words, a single image
  • Interesting, enthralling, disturbing at times, but I assure you, you'll never be the same

• by Sibulegila

I read this book a few years ago, mainly because I’m a big fan of its author, Chilean writer José Donoso, and I had read many of his novels, except this one; I had read a few reviews praising the book and regarding it as Donoso’s masterpiece, so I hurried myself to buy a copy, I’ve read it several times, and right now I’ll give you my opinion about it. So relax, sit tight, and just let me tell you, as a starter, that this book, in my opinion, is schizophrenia on paper; I’m not saying it’s bad, it’s quite the contrary,

actually.

It is a masterpiece because at a first reading it may seem chaotic, and if you’re not familiar with the author, you won’t understand the changes in voicing; but, when you take a more detailed look at it and connect the dots, if you adapt well enough to understand the insane yet masterfully calculated and structured universe depicted in the book.

Now, to mention a little bit about the story: The main character here is Humberto Peñaloza, who we only know in the beginning as “the mute”; he works in an orphanage, or rather hides in it, protecting himself from evil ...

• forces that want him; he is not mute, but through his silent voice flows a mosaic of identities that merge, dissolve, and alter themselves, mixing past and present, realities and legends, male and female voices, up until a point where all notion of self becomes scattered and reduced to nothingness.

I know that José Donoso took 8 years to write this book, but the trigger, the core from which this whole alternate universe exploded was, in his words, a single image: In the 60’s in Chile, the vision of a limousine, driven by a German-looking man, and in the back seat, a

young man, extremely elegant, but severely deformed.

Personally, I loved it.

It is complicated, if you take the time and read it all at once, it will transport you further and further inside this world, until you will no longer know the reality that seemed so trivial at first, but the tireless and powerful prose will give you the “feel” of the morphing and melting of characters, the division of realities connected by fine threads of memories, rituals, legends, witches, incantations, all of this in old Chilean background.

A great book! Interesting, enthralling, disturbing at times, but I assure you, you’ll never be the same.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 17206718190230/k2311a062/6.2.09