Riding the City Bus  » General services  »
  • I decided to start riding the Whatcom Transit Authority buses to work for a variety of reasons
  • I don't like driving and find that I was sometimes in a bad mood because of traffic issues either on the way to work or on the way home
  • So theoretically it would cost me $1 a day for the 15 mile round trip
  • But what I like best is that it gives me a chance to visit the downtown areas of Bellingham that I often bypassed by driving
  • I highly recommend making the effort to learn to use the bus in your town or city

• by tfedge
      After years of commuting to work by private auto, I began riding the bus to work on the first of July. I love it. Whatcom County Transit provides bus service throughout the county and throughout Bellingham, Washington where I live. Recently they’ve increased their bus service so that along main routes, a bus stops every fifteen minutes.

Before, with half hour or hourly stops, it made commuting too cumbersome. The number of buses has increased with many of them being new. All of the buses are well-maintained and cleaned.

Besides more frequent service, WTA has pleasant drivers and employees that are very

helpful and will assist you in figuring out the easiest and least expensive way to your destination. Now I can make it two and from work in about a half hour. Now it’s true that driving usually took about half the time, but now I have about thirty minutes going to work and thirty minutes coming home where I can read and look at the city I’ve lived in for thirty years.

I decided to start riding the Whatcom Transit Authority buses to work for a variety of reasons. I wanted to cut down on the pollution I generated every day. I don’t ...

• like driving and find that I was sometimes in a bad mood because of traffic issues either on the way to work or on the way home.

However cost was a big issue as well. A single fare on the bus costs 50 cents and you can get a transfer. So theoretically it would cost me $1 a day for the 15 mile round trip.

Instead of the approximately $2 today’s gas prices would cost. By buying a bus pass, I can ride an unlimited number of buses during the month, including going to the local university to do research where I’d have

to look for a parking place and pay by the hour to park. From an economic perspective it made a lot of sense.

But what I like best is that it gives me a chance to visit the downtown areas of Bellingham that I often bypassed by driving. It gives me a chance to stop in at little special shops without the inconvenience of trying to park. It gives me a chance to see and speak with a wide variety of people who take the bus.

All of this things are good. I highly recommend making the effort to learn to use the bus in your town or city.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2006. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 25210771330431/k2311a0721/7.21.06