J. Webb Market Wines wine store Calgary  » Business  »
4421 Quesnay Wood Drive SW, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
  • This concept definitely works, in my opinion
  • Webb Market Wines, I knew it would be a very different experience
  • My favourite aspect of this store is that the walls are lined with black wooden shelves, where a display bottle is standing by itself, vertically, with the other bottles of that type lined up horizontally beside it
  • I like this a lot, because the customer and read the display bottle easily, without having to rifle through stacks of bottles
  • Webb Market Wines is a beautiful and interesting wine store, and while it is definitely a high-end retailer, the selection and atmosphere makes the store a great shopping experience, especially for wine aficionados

• by Jessie Bahrey

J. Webb Market Wines is a unique wine store which fits perfectly in its location at the Calgary Farmers’ Market site in Calgary, Alberta. The concept was to create a wine store with a market, organic feel, so that the same clientele who shop at the farmers’ market would find J. Webb a perfect place to shop for their wine. This concept definitely works, in my opinion; J. Webb is a very pretty, fresh and energetic store, and I really enjoy browsing all the wines here. However, it

does tend to cater to an upscale wine taste, with the average bottle price to be over $20, so I will shop here for a special wine, not my daily wine, because it is just a bit too expensive.

The moment I walked through the door of J. Webb Market Wines, I knew it would be a very different experience. There were at least 3 staff members, so there was plenty of one-on-one assistance if needed. Organic wines, which are made in vineyards which follow the rules of organic farming, are marked with a green tag, which is something I have never seen in any other wine store. My favourite aspect of this store is that the walls are lined with black wooden shelves, where a display bottle is standing by itself, vertically, with the other bottles of that type lined up horizontally beside it. I like this a lot, because the customer and read the display bottle easily, without having to rifle through stacks of bottles. The middle section of the store has more traditional shelves ...

• J. Webb Market Wines wine store  Calgary
      and tables, and there is one large table displaying a selection of specials or new wines. Everything is arranged by region, which makes browsing easy. And there is a great selection of sweet or dessert wines, ports and Sherries. I certainly took my time examining the extensive selection of wine here, and the clean, organized and bright atmosphere makes it a pleasure to visit this store.

I was able to find an Alsatian Riesling that I had been looking for, and although it was a bit of a splurge

at $25, it is going to be saved for a special occasion. I also picked a couple of less expensive shirazes and merlots, and there is a distinct shortage of wines under $15 at J. Webb. But, then again, once the economy picks up, perhaps buying wine in that price range will become less foolhardy. J. Webb Market Wines is a beautiful and interesting wine store, and while it is definitely a high-end retailer, the selection and atmosphere makes the store a great shopping experience, especially for wine aficionados.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 412805713030231/k2311a0528/5.28.09