The Closer: About Face  » TV  »
  • I noticed that one of the shows available was an early on
  • I wasn't sure if it was the pilot or the show that came right after it, but I decided to give it a view and see how it was
  • Watching Sedgwick's process in deducing who the guilty party was interesting

• by Orrymain

While relaxing tonight and waiting for another show to come on, I was flipping through the ‘on demand’ options and came across The Closer with Kyra Sedgwick. I’ve heard about this show and was moderately intrigued by the concept, but I’ve never actually watched an episode. I noticed that one of the shows available was an early on. I wasn’t sure if it was the pilot or the show that came right after it, but I decided to give it a view and see how

it was. As it turns out, this was the second show, or the first one after the pilot, and is called About Face.

Sedgwick plays a deputy chief in charge of the Priority Murder Section of the LAPD. There’s this really cute bit when she confronts her boss about the stationary she just received for this brand new division. In big, bold black letters were, “P.M.S.”. From looking at show information, it would seem the named was changed to Priority Homicide Division.

The show opens humorously ...

• with Sedgwick being lost in Los Angeles. Knowing the area pretty well, I could only laugh. It’s so easy to be confused as the character was. What was neat for me as a new viewer and not sure of exactly what was going on was that I was drawn in to being surprised when she sees a police car and follows it to the crime scene. Then she turns out to be the one that everyone is waiting for.

I actually liked the show quite

a bit. I’m not sure it would reach ‘must see’ for me personally, but it’s about to start it’s fifth season, so it’s doing well. If I watch another, I’ll be curious to see if she’s kept the quirky country accent she has in this episode.

Watching Sedgwick’s process in deducing who the guilty party was interesting. The story involved a dead model and the most logical murderer — her cheating, actor husband. The acting was solid and the story wasn’t predictable. Maybe I’ll watch another.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 102705711310131/k2311a0527/5.27.09