Murad Acne Complex Kit  » Cosmetics  »
  • Unfortunately, at that level my skin was still far from ideal, so I decided this regimen was not enough for me

• by Banane

I wasn’t blessed with flawless skin, and I’m really prone to getting acne. Ironically, it started when I went to college, unlike my peers who got pimples early in their pubescent years. I guess in that sense I was a late bloomer. It really brought down my self-confidence and I tried product after product looking for a cure. This was one of the regimens that I got into: the Murad Anti-Acne regimen.

Basically, the main ingredient in this line is salicylic acid. My mom saw their ad in the newspaper, and said it looked credible because at least the company was established by a real medical doctor, unlike some others. We decided it was worth a shot, even though it was expensive. So my mom got me

a Murad Acne Complex Kit from Rustan’s Department Store, an upscale department store here in the Philippines. The kit consisted of their Clarifying Cleanser, Moisturizing Acne Treatment Gel, and their oil-free tinted sunblock. As a bonus, the kit also contained their Acne Spot Treatment. The sales attendant convinced my mom that the Clarifying Toner would be a great addition to her purchase, so she ended up buying me that, too.

I liked the Clarifying Cleanser and still use it occasionally up to now. It smelled very nice. It had a fresh, citrus scent. It was also cooling on the skin and it felt good to wash my face with it. I just wet my face, put a dollop of the gel cleanser onto my palm, add a little water, and work it into a lather. I massage my face with it for about three minutes before rinsing. It did leave my skin rather dry, but that was remedied by the other products in the regimen.

The Clarifying Toner was pretty nice, too. It removed any remaining dirt on my skin and also alleviates the dryness left by the cleanser. In this case, I guess the sales assistant was right.

After this, I applied the Moisturizing Acne Treatment Gel. It was.. okay. I didn’t think it was anything special. But this didn’t mean that it wasn’t effective.

I didn’t like their “oil-free” tinted sunblock. Even if they claimed it was oil-free, my skin still felt greasy when I put it on, and would become really shiny by ...

• Murad Acne Complex Kit
      mid-morning. It also comes off when I sweat. I knew because I see streaks of beige when I wipe my face with some tissue.

Like the Moisturizing Acne Treatment Gel, the * spot treatment was also nothing special. I didn’t feel like it was doing anything for my breakouts, and sometimes it made me itch.

After finishing most of the products in my first kit, with very little improvement on my skin, we decided to repurchase the Clarifying Cleanser and Clarifying Toner. Then we got the Exfoliating Acne Treatment Gel instead of the Moisturizing Acne Treatment Gel. For some reason, the sales assistant dissuaded us from buying the Skin Perfecting Moisturizer, which was supposed to complete the regimen. He said it wasn’t suited for my skin. So I

didn’t use any moisturizer in my regimen. We didn’t repurchase the tinted moisturizer and the spot corrector.

The Exfoliating Acne Treatment Gel was much better in terms of drying up my pimples. I just applied a little amount all over the face, and it didn’t sting or anything. Using it in conjunction with the other products I mentioned, I did notice some improvement. However, after my skin reached a certain level of improvement, the effect seemed to plateau. Unfortunately, at that level my skin was still far from ideal, so I decided this regimen was not enough for me.

For people suffering with mild acne, this would probably suffice. But for those with moderate to severe acne like I had, you’re better off spending your money on more potent treatments.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 312705711200131/k2311a0527/5.27.09