The Lost Treasure of the Grand Canyon  » Movies  »
  • When I first learned that Michael Shanks was going to star in The Lost Treasure of the Grand Canyon, I thought it was bound to be Daniel Jackson in the Grand Canyon

• by Orrymain

When I first learned that Michael Shanks was going to star in The Lost Treasure of the Grand Canyon, I thought it was bound to be Daniel Jackson in the Grand Canyon. Daniel is the character Shanks played for ten years plus in Star Gate SG-1 and its movies. He’s a passionate archaeologist that explored other worlds with a lot of mythology coming

into play. From the brief description first given of this movie, my assumption didn’t seem very unlikely.

My second reaction to The Lost Treasure of the Grand Canyon was ‘you’ve got to be kidding’. That was upon hearing that Shanks would be paired with 90210’s Shannon Doherty. Huh? I just don’t see it. It felt completely wrong to me.

When I watched The Lost Treasure of the Grand Canyon, I was actually quite thrilled to see very little Daniel Jackson in Shank’s portrayal of Jacob Thain. Thain was an archaeologist, and he turned out to be quite brave, but he wasn’t the least bit like Daniel, not really. The entire interpretation of the character was about as far from Daniel as Shanks could have taken ...

• The Lost Treasure of the Grand Canyon
      it, and that makes the movie not only easier to watch, but better than it would have been otherwise.

The other surprise I had was watching J.R. Bourne, who played a recurring role on SG-1. He was a sniffler in this one, but lots of fun.

As for Shanks and Doherty, I never saw it. I’m glad for the happy ending, and equally glad that

there really wasn’t much of the romance in the story. It’s more talked about than anything else. Even at the end, it’s a brief moment and then, poof, the movie is over.

The Lost Treasure of the Grand Canyon is not a great movie. It’s a B-film. I can’t imagine watching it with any regularity, unless I’m just in the mood for Shanks!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 112605710750231/k2311a0526/5.26.09