Two Parakeets vs. One
  • He had a biting problem but since we got the female bird he no longer bites
  • We would play the radio for him but I don't think that was enough
  • I strongly recommend two birds versus one

• by Betty Mack

We just bought a new parakeet. We had one parakeet and we thought he may be lonely so we got him a mate. We bought a girl.

She is so cute. We weren’t sure if we should have two birds or stick with one.

Many people told me that if you have

two birds they won’t want anything to do with you so you should stick with one. Well since we got the new bird I have never seen our male parakeet so happy.

He is not only much more friendly with us but he just acts happier. They follow each other every where.

...

• He had a biting problem but since we got the female bird he no longer bites. He comes out of the cage much easier and will even let us hold him in our hands.

He never let us do that before. I really like he was lonely before.

My husband and I

each work eight hours a day so he was always alone. We would play the radio for him but I don’t think that was enough.

He needed a companion. Now as long as we give both birds about 30 minutes of attention a day they are very friendly.

I strongly recommend two birds versus one.

quick note by anonymous :

what about to start out with

Vital Expressions says :

The original reviewer states that her and her husband both work long hours. However, if you are able to spend more time with your birds, more than 30 minutes a day, then just getting one bird would be fine. Usually you can tame them easier if there is just one, and make them talk easier. If they have another bird they are more likely to do more bird chatter, and clicks, learning from each other rather than from you. In the case of this post, I definitely think the issue was that the bird was lonely, but if you work different shifts, or are a stay at home mom, one bird would be just fine. Another thing to note is that two parakeets is almost just as easy as caring for one parakeet, so depending on the amount of time you can spend with your animal or animal, either choice is fine, it’s just that one or two will be better or worse depending on your situation

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 292505709921031/k2311a0525/5.25.09