American Idol - Performance 5/19/09  » Entertainment  »
  • Cowell gave the round to Allen, and I have to agree

• by Orrymain

Tonight for the final performances, the two American Idol finalists sang three songs. The first was their personal choice, the second was a song selected by Simon Fuller, the creator of American Idol, and the third was the song called “No Boundaries” with was written by Kara, the newly added fourth judge. About halfway through the season, the show announced that the usual contest to have a fan write the big season-ending song would be written by Kara instead.

Round One began with Adam Lambert singing Mad World. This is the song that was so wonderfully done the first time that Simon Cowell stood up. He did it very well again here, too, though with a bit of a change up in presentation. It

was good, but not as compelling to me as it was the first time he sang it.

Kris Allen opened with Ain’t No Sunshine, playing with the piano, and wow! Let me repeat, wow! He made this song his own. He changed it up big time. it was very different, and it lured me in completely. Simon Cowell liked it so much that he said Allen had just put himself back in the competition. Cowell gave the round to Allen, and I have to agree.

In the second segment, Lambert sang Change is Gonna Come. The judges totally loved it. For me, it was very good, but it didn’t carry me away. It was strong yes, just not as strong as some ...

• others I’ve been drawn to over the course of the season.

Then Allen sang What’s Goin’ On? which he also sang a bit differently, but it was a bit too low key. He started too soft, but the song grew on me as it went on.

Cowell awarded the round to Lambert. He was probably right, but I’m a little in the middle on it.

The No Boundaries song was a flop, regardless of who sang it. Next year, the Idol folks should go back to having a fan write it. Kara struck out, big time. In the performances, Lambert was okay, steady and solid. He didn’t hook me, though he hit the notes right on. The judges liked him quite a bit,

with Cowell calling him a “world-wide star.” I agree with that. Win or lose, Lambert’s star is just beginning.

Allen did okay. I rather liked it, though I wasn’t totally crazy about it. The judges all agreed it wasn’t a song that was good for him. They actually advised the audience to vote based on the season for Kris and not on this performance.

Cowell didn’t give a winner for the round. For me, it was even.

Regardless, this was an incredible evening. Great competition between these two men.

In the end, it could be anyone’s game. America loves to surprise. We’ve seen it before. Adam Lambert is the clear favorite, but then so was David Archuleta last seasons.

We’ll find out tomorrow night!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 592505708360731/k2311a0525/5.25.09