C.L.R. Household Cleaner  » Housewares  »
1.0
    • Item: C. L. R.

household cleaner Location: by: Famous

I had a case of hard water stains on my bathroom tub, and typical cleaners just didn’t do the trick. So upon watching tons and tons of those CLR commercials, (CLR stands

for Calcium/ Lime/ Rust.

) Anyway, I finally purchased some in a spray form. This cleaner can be used in bathrooms or kitchens.

First of all, I do NOT like the smell. This cleaner doesn’t necessarily have a clean scent.

...

• It smells more like sickly sweet chemicals. I hate it.

Furthermore, the CLR didn’t really clean the tough water stains, even though I let it sit for a while. CLR actually does a good job in the

kitchen.

But again, I’m turned off by the smell. So I hesitate to use it.

I don’t think I’ll purchase this stuff anymore. It doesn’t really do what I thought it would do–besides stink up my kitchen and bathroom.

George says :

How much CLR would I use to clean my washing machine

John says :

You should use half a cup to clean it during a full cycle.

Joanna says :

Hi George,

I would use no more than a half a cup of CLR for a large load. Personally, I only use a quarter of a cup once a year to help ensure that everything stays clean in there. However, if you have an energy efficient, front loading washing machine you may need to buy a specific cleaner.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joanna

David Kidd says :

Can CLR be used on acrylic?

John says :

It is safe to use on acrylic. You should rinse it about 2-3 minutes after it’s applied.

Vincent Royce Ampong says :

Yes you can use CLR on acrylic. However you should be very careful to rinse it thoroughyl.

Joanna says :

Hi David,

Yes, CLR can be used acrylic, but only a small amount. After you are done cleaning with the CLR it is very important that you thoroughly rinse the acrylic item with cool clean water for several minutes as CLR will eat through acrylic and leave a pitted surface if it is left to long.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joanna

Galega says :

The answer will be both affirmative and negative. You can USE it. However, You should NOT USE it.

Using CLR on Acrylic will clean the surface. However, there is quite a high possibility that you will instantly find spots (particularly white spots) over acrylic. There is no point of using a product having possibility of leaving stain. I would suggest against using it for this purpose.

Joyce Robertson says :

recently i saw a comercial showing CLR used for cleaning humidifier filters…I think. I have not seen this comercial since. Can this be used to clean filters for humidifiers? If so, how is it done.Thank you. Joyce Robertson

John says :

Joyce, it should only be use to clean humidifiers that have metal filters. Pour only enough CLR into the humidifier to cover the entire bottom. Use a brush or other cleaning tool to scrub it until it’s clean. Rinse it.

Galega says :

There is no problem in using CLR Household Cleaner for cleaning Humidifier as well as air filters. I have used it for air filters.

You need to ensure that you are using it in the right way. And, for that, you need to go through the instructions manual of your Humidifier Filter. You should read instructions regarding cleaning process of the filter and use CLR strictly as per instructions.

Kim Jenkins says :

Is it safe to use CLR in the dish washer? If so, how do I use it?

Vincent Royce Ampong says :

No, it is not safe to use CLR in your dish washer Kim Jenkins.

Galega says :

Using CLR Household Cleaner on Dishwasher may not be useful. I would suggest you to use CLR Calcium along with Lime and Rust Cleaner for dishwasher. Put these three at the bottom and let them be there for few hours. Wash properly and your dishwasher should be cleaned.

Angelica says :

C.L.R. worked for me . I used the yellow bottle called C.L.R. and then in italic letters Enhanced Formula. And when you spray it it`s like think gel that sticks a little bit better than just liquid C.L.R. and I let it sit for like 10 min and I came back and it worked like a charm. Though some of the thickest oldest we are talking what? 3 yo gunks of hard water build up on the water faucets those took a lot more effort. First I hit them lightly with the handle of a screw driver and the I pulled the hard water build up though this kind of took the chrome away, I don`t know if this is the best procedure. But for the hard water stains, yellow ugly ones on the tub and sink it took them away, I did have to use some baking soda and a brush on the tub because those were harder and I had not cleaned them in years so and that faucet on the tub that one used to leak often so there is a lot of buildup down the water path, but it did work, CLR worked on those, but faucet tip not so well because I didn`t have the patience, but I think the liquid one, the one where you fill up a small container with CLR and hold it at the faucet tip and wait a minute or so and then try to remove the hard water stains, that way it works, I have done that with the shower head and it does work too. Ahmmm… so after that runs out, I bought awhile back LimeAway, only because I forgot I had C.L.R and I didn`t really care one way or another, so when I get to the lime away I`ll just refill the CLR spraying bottle with Lime Away , I`ll let you know how it works, though I bought the liquid formula or LimeAway, at least when I shook it, it sounded lliquid. I`ll comeback and report.

Jay Brocklebank says :

Can I use CLR to clean sterling sliver jewlery? necklace

John says :

Yes, it’s safe to use on sterling. You should soak it in CLR for about 2 minutes.

Vincent Royce Ampong says :

Yes, you can use CLR in cleaning sterling silver jewelry. However, it may make the quality of your jewelry low.

Galega says :

CLR Household item is not intended to be used for cleaning jewelry, Sterling Silver or other. There is no point of using it for that purpose. It will be better to use a specific jewelry cleaner. Or, you may try White Vinegar and Baking Soda (works for me).

Dan McIntyre says :

Can CLR be used to clean and brighten aluminum trailers and aluminum steps and catwalks on semi tractors?

John says :

Clr is not recommended on aluminum. It will remove the finish.

Galega says :

You should not use any household cleaner, CLR or others, for cleaning aluminium made products. That can make the surface rough. Interestingly, you can use many household products for this purpose. My favorite is vinegar which works wonderful in cleaning aluminium finishes without any problem. Just ensure to use a soft cloth and gently rub in circular motion.

larry says :

We have a washing machine with a musty smell, can we use C.L.R. to hopefully remove the odour and how much do we use? Thank you. Larry

John says :

Yes, you can use it. Add a half a cup and then run a washing cycle.

Galega says :

Not all washing machines can be cleaned by CLR. You need to look for cleaning instructions printed on the user’s manual of your washing machine.

If it is allowed, then use quarter cup of CLR and run the machine. It should clean the interior. I will again repeat that please go through the instructions manual before cleaning your machine.

Jim Johnson says :

I want to use CLR to clean a commercial coffee pot. Will this work? What about damaging the gaskets in the eqipment?

John says :

To avoid damage to the gaskets, you should only use it if the gaskets are metal.

Vincent Royce Ampong says :

Yes, it will work but it will damage equipment.

Galega says :

Your concern is right. You should avoid using CLR Household cleaner for this purpose. The gasket will definitely get scratches which over time will stop working optimally. You should use a suitable alternative to wash commercial coffee cup. A simple dishwasher can be considered in this case.

Lynn says :

CLR does not work all the time but Power 1 One does…

Norbel says :

Lynn, can power one be used on tubs and sinks? It looks like it`s for fiberglass, concrete, painted surfaces. . . . .???? Still searching for that perfect product to get rid of rust stains. Whink has always been my go-to product but I think it destroys the surface. Any help is appreciated. Live in a very hard water area and once in a while softener doesn`t do the job and it doesn`t take long for sinks, toilet and tub to stain. Thanks

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2006. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 53200770831131/k2311a0720/7.20.06