Gimp
  • Also, through my experience, Gimp takes less memory than PS does when processing the same task, which might be a good news for those low-level machines

• by wmfhed

The first time I got to know Gimp is when I was requested to draw a picture for my research paper. I have to combine one picture of violin structure and another picture of an iPod touch together. My friend recommends Gimp to me, as it is a free open-source graphic software which can be running on Mac.

My first impression

was that it takes a long time for the software to launch, which is the same case if you launch Photoshop. After that, the main interface appears and you may find that it consists of three splitted panels. I was used to the all-in-one integrated interface under Photoshop and felt difficult to take all the three movable panels under control.

• Besides, I often pressed wrong shortcut keys as some of them are totally different from those under Photoshop.

However, Gimp still worths our trying though it’s very young and can’t compete with Photoshop in some aspects. First and foremost, Gimp is free and cross-platform. If you change between different operation systems quite frequently and does not have very high demand on

the visual effects of graphics, Gimp should always be your first choice. Also, through my experience, Gimp takes less memory than PS does when processing the same task, which might be a good news for those low-level machines.

Why not give it a try. Allow sometime to get used to it and you will find it a tool designed just for you!

Gimp

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 302205705360831/k2311a0522/5.22.09