After Dark written by Haruki Murakami book  » Books  »
  • I am not a book worm but I love reading books just to kill time
  • I apparently enjoyed reading this bizarre book entitled After Dark by a now popular japanese author Haruki Murakami
  • I believe the commendable element of this story are the low profile characters
  • It can be compared to a silent film with plenty of boring conversations but with a hint of mysticism
  • In fact, this book made me feel like I want to go to Tokyo and experience the nightlife

• by jhunie

I am not a book worm but I love reading books just to kill time. Perhaps reading is my own therapeutic way of curing insomnia at nights when I find it hard to doze off.

I apparently enjoyed reading this bizarre book entitled After Dark by a now popular japanese author Haruki Murakami. In this book, Murakami explores a monotonous setting about the nightlife Tokyo scene. I believe the commendable element of this story are the low

profile characters. But I was surprised with the depth in character that each persona are individual but never far apart.

I expected that the book was more like a suspense novel but it was more philosopical and deeply emotional. It can be compared to a silent film with plenty of boring conversations but with a hint of mysticism. The two protagonits of the story are Mari Asai, a student and Tetsuya Takahashi.

The events take place between midnight till ...

• early morning. Within that time frame the story begins and ends chronologically. It starts with the two conversationalists unexpectedly meeting in a diner progressing to more complex encounters all in the dead of night.

I was impressed by how Murakami used the element of time strongly in this story but without flashbacks just moving to a forward stream of events. I think it cleverly shows the divide between the believable and the unbelievable; between the radical nocturnals and

the corporates.

It is interesting how murakami writes in excellent and precise details with his imaginative camera describing every angle. In fact, this book made me feel like I want to go to Tokyo and experience the nightlife.

For a reader with mature taste and interests this is a very good book. Expect it to be weird and avant garde. To me this book truly delivers.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 172105705000831/k2311a0521/5.21.09