Royal British Columbia Museum
675 Belleville Street, Victoria BC
  • Even though I live in the city, I love Victoria's Royal British Columbia Museum
  • I like how the displays play upon all the senses, especially sight, sound and smell
  • I would certainly recommend that all visitors to the city schedule a lengthy stop in this museum, as it is definitely not one to be rushed through

• by karandash

Even though I live in the city, I love Victoria’s Royal British Columbia Museum. I always feel like I’m stepping into another world, be it the world of the Aboriginal people, or the world of the nineteenth-century settler, to say nothing of the natural history displays.

I could honestly stay in the museum all day. Walking into the “Old Town”

section is like taking a trip back in time. I love the old movie theatre, and the train station. All of this contributes to a feeling of actually being there, and for me, history comes alive. I forget where I am, and always find it strange to walk back into the rest of the museum, where the twenty-first ...

• century continues as normal. I like how the displays play upon all the senses, especially sight, sound and smell.

Another of my favorite exhibits is the “First Peoples’ Gallery”, which houses the First Nations artifacts. I love how mystical it feels, and I think the display techniques do justice to some of the amazing pieces that are housed within

its walls. Rather than a cold, anthropological look at Native cultures, the Gallery attempts to display the pieces in a sensitive manner. More than once, I have felt in awe of the Gallery.

I would certainly recommend that all visitors to the city schedule a lengthy stop in this museum, as it is definitely not one to be rushed through.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 592105704750831/k2311a0521/5.21.09