Singer Simple Sewing Machine Model 3116  » Housewares  »
0.5
  • The main problem I had was with the bobbin
  • Between us we have a good 50 years of sewing experience with different machines
  • Their cost to explore that possibility was out of my price bracket, since I already had another sewing machine

• by Michigan_Mother

With more than fifteen different stitching options, and an easy to thread system, I was thrilled when I was given the Singer Simple Sewing Machine. However, Model 3116 with all its bangs and whistles didn’t turn out to be quite so simple to use. The main problem I had was with the bobbin.

Although it looked like any other sewing machine bobbin, no matter what I did I could not get it to work properly once reinserted into the machine. Not one to give up, I tried rethreading it multiple times, and even tried using a bobbin from another machine. When I still got no positive results, I went

to my mom who has sewn since long before I was born. Between us we have a good 50 years of sewing experience with different machines. She couldn’t get the bobbin to thread and feed properly either. That meant all we could get was a botched stitch or threads that would break.

Still not giving up, I took the machine to our local sewing specialty shop. They were unable to get a bobbin to feed correctly either and advised us that the inner workings of the machine must be messed up. Their cost to explore that possibility was out of my price bracket, since I already had another sewing ...

• machine. So, the store staff advised me to try the Singer customer service department since it was a brand new sewing machine and should be covered under warranty.

Ever hopeful I called customer service for Singer. They told me that as I did not have a receipt they could not fix it under the warranty unless I obtained one from the person who gifted me the sewing machine. She didn’t have it. As such, Singer advised me to take the faulty sewing machine to the nearest Singer Servicing Center. That ended up being the sewing specialty shop. So, there I was full circle back at the shop that

was going to charge me an arm and a leg to see if it was a faulty sewing machine or something fixable. For me, the Singer Simple Sewing Machine was not worth the continued effort.

I had hoped to teach my kids to sew on Sewing Machine Model 3116. It said in big bold letters that it would be Simple. Let me tell you this, any sewing machine where the bobbin won’t feed correctly is quite simply useless as you can’t operate the machine without it. So, my Singer Simple Sewing Machine was gifted away again on Freecycle and it’s my hope the recipient has better luck with it than I did.

Annie Olsen says :

How do I get a manual for my machine Singer Simple Sewing Machine Model 3116?

John says :

You can access the manual online. Here’s a link to a third party website to access it:

beverly says :

the thread take-up lever does not go up all the way

Galega says :

In that case, you may want to go through following simple steps. It will make take up lever going up easily and conveniently:

Turn off the machine.
    Raise the presser foot lever.
    Raise the needle by turning the handwheel toward you (counterclockwise) so that the mark on the wheel points up.
    Pull up the spool pin completely.
    Put a spool of thread on this pin.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 532105704360731/k2311a0521/5.21.09