Revlon Colorstay Mineral Powder  » Cosmetics  »
1.5
  • I love their lipstick, their pressed powders, their foundation, liquid liner, pencil liners, almost everything
  • They are not the only manufacturers that sell their mineral powder like this, but that does NOT mean it is even close to the most convenient
  • The flexibility of the brush's bristles is another problem that I have with this product
  • It is somewhat matte, which I like in a mineral makeup but I know that some people prefer more luminous finishes

• by K.F. Lynn

For a change, today I’ll be reviewing a product that I surprisingly did not like very much at all. The Colorstay line from Revlon is usually wonderful; I love their lipstick, their pressed powders, their foundation, liquid liner, pencil liners, almost everything. This, however the Revlon Colorstay Mineral Powder foundation did not live up to the expectations I had based on the other products from this line that I own. First off, the packaging is one that I am not a fan of.

They are not the only manufacturers that sell their mineral powder like this, but that does NOT mean it is even close to the most convenient. It has a twist-cap that you are supposed to twist up and pull to extend the brush down into the powder. Let me start by saying this is the tiniest brush for a mineral powder I have ever seen (that came with it, at least).

With mineral powder, the whole point is to buff it into your skin to get the right coverage. That is typically done with

a kabuki brush (for those of you who do not know what that is, it is a large, fluffy but compacted brush about 3 inches in diameter, sometimes more or less than that). This brush that comes with the Revlon Colorstay powder is about 1-2 inches in diameter.

The flexibility of the brush’s bristles is another problem that I have with this product. When the TINY SHORT bristles hit your face, that have little give to actually push the powder around your face to buff your makeup the way that you are supposed to. It is stiff which just does not say that it is even close to being high quality.

For the packaging’s sake, there really is not a way to make the brush bigger because the entire packaging just is not practical. The “handle” of the brush is a shape that is awkward to hold, and then when you go to actually get the product on the brush you do not get very much at all. I have heard that some people turn theirs upside down in order ...

• to get more powder onto the brush but that always leaves the feeling of having too MUCH, which is another big no-no of mineral makeup.

Why? Because a product that should last you a year will last you 6 months, and is as a result a waste of your cash; and I paid at least $12 USD for this thing!

Now, I will say that the finish of the makeup itself is decent, not great. It is somewhat matte, which I like in a mineral makeup but I know that some people prefer more luminous finishes. I however do not, so the color itself worked fine for me (once I got enough on a different brush, HA).

I have heard people complain that their colors did not match up to their face well enough, though, and that is never good for a makeup line when several people complain about that! There is a serious red flag. Also, they advertise that they include SPF in their powder which is nice, but when it comes right down to it, in order

to get halfway decent SPF coverage from that makeup, you would have to use about half of the contents in every usage. I suppose what I am saying, is don’t rely on the SPF of the Revlon Colorstay, please just use sunscreen or moisturizer with sunscreen!

Finally, I will discuss the “long lasting claim” that they have made on their packaging.

Revlon Colorstay mineral powder claims to last 16 hours. SIXTEEN. That is an incredibly long time for any makeup to stay on your face, and for people who have long days who need that kind of makeup stay without reapplying that sounds great, right? Well, the claim is pretty bogus.

It lasts a while, but nowhere near 16 hours especially if you’re going out. Maybe it would last 16 hours if you sat very still in a room with no light for the whole day. For me, who has pretty average not-too-oily skin, this stuff lasted maybe 6 hours, maximum of about 8.

Overall, I would not waste the money on this again, I will only be using it until it’s gone.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 311805702320431/k2311a0518/5.18.09