Philippine Association of Interpreters for Deaf Empowerment (Sign Language Class)  » Education  »
Plainview, Mandaluyong City, Philippines
  • I enjoyed the classes because it is not the plain classroom type, we have lots of activities including role playing, interpreting songs and more
  • There are lots of good schools for learning this but from my personal experience, PAIDE does the job well, satisfaction guaranteed

• by lipsticknladdles

When I was still teaching and practicing professionally, my exposure was on Special Education. The school where I taught not only caters to the need of children with developmental and behavioral problems but also to those who are deaf and mute. Although I teach children with Autism and other behavioral problems, I often socialize with the deaf kids in school. Sometimes it gets so frustrating when they try so hard to tell me something and I can’t understand. It is frustrating for the kids and for me too. When I took my masters degree, one of my professor/mentor suggested that I should give a portion of my time and grab the opportunity offered by the school where I work. Angeli Dei Schools (that’s the school where I teach) offers to subsidize a certain percentage of the tuition fee when you enroll and train to be a sign language interpreter or when

you just want to have a basic means to communicate using ASL. Angeli Dei Schools and PAIDE (still RIDE-Registry of Interpreter for Deaf Empowerment) are part of the same organization.

To cut the long story short, I did enroll in the Basic 1 Sign language Class. The session takes place every Saturday for 2-3 hours. There are make-up classes available thus making it easier to accommodate working professionals without schedule conflicts. The tuition fee is very affordable. I no longer recall how long it took us to finish Basic 1 because we jumped into Basic 2 right after. In those two sessions I learned a lot. Our sign language teacher is a trained and registered SL interpreter. He taught us the very basics of American Sign Language including the signing of alphabet, numbers, common words and also he trained us to communicate with deaf people. I enjoyed the classes because it is ...

• not the plain classroom type, we have lots of activities including role playing, interpreting songs and more. The curriculum and the way it was delivered to students is very good and worth my money. Sadly, I was not able to finish the next level because I went to the United States. Still I am in touch with most friends and former classmates in the said class. If I’ll have the chance to go back and finish the whole course until I become a registered interpreter, I probably would. Now I just cling onto my certificates of training, watch signing television shows and practice the skill once in awhile just to make sure I still know how to do it.

A little information about PAIDE:

Used to be RIDE (Registry of Interpreters for Deaf Empowerment) , PAIDE of Philippine Association of Interpreters for Deaf Empowerment is an organization that provides quality and accurate sign

language interpretation in all transactions involving deaf persons. It offers a well designed curriculum in Sign Language Courses. The saide courses are categorized in the following levels Basic , Basic 2, Intermediate , Preparatory to Interpreting and also Sign Language Tutorial Classes, Refresher Course for Signing and Refresher Course for Interpreting. It can help you specialize in major fields of interpreting including Educational / Performing Arts , Religious , Industrial / Medical and Social and Legal. It also offers other services such as Guidance and Counseling, Psychological Testing and Psychotherapy. If I am not mistaken, its main office is Plainview, Mandaluyong City, Philippines.

In conclusion, learning sign language is a good thing. It is like learning how to speak French or Italian or Chinese, only that you use gestures and hand signals. There are lots of good schools for learning this but from my personal experience, PAIDE does the job well, satisfaction guaranteed!

riel angela malapitan says :

i would like to ask..what age should a kid starts to go in special school..i mean i have a 6 yr.old daughter..she was not able to speak up to now but she express her feelings with sounds..she can scream..she can be understood..i dont know where to start..i dont wnat her to be illiterate..i want her to be as normal as everybody else..pls help..

Galega says :

First thing you need to get her to a doctor and get all tests done (hopefully, you have already gone through this phase).

If all tests confirm about this unfortunate state, then take her to a special school - As Soon As Possible. There is no minimum age, it all depends on the knowledge about child problems.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 501805702270431/k2311a0518/5.18.09