Memorex Optifix Motorized CD/DVD Cleaner and Scratch Repair Kit
  • Unfortunately, we didn't know why a big, deep scratch appeared on the original DVD copy
  • It cost almost $20, which I find a little expensive
  • So if you are encountering the same problem, I would not advice you to get this product

• by lipsticknladdles

We got married in 2004. It was quite an expensive wedding because we really save and prepared for it. The video of the whole wedding was captured in DVD and that will be the greatest souvenir we can keep. We made copies of it and gave some to our families. Unfortunately, we didn’t know why a big, deep scratch appeared on the original DVD copy. We were devastated. In order to keep me from being upset about it, my husband promise that he will save the DVD for me.

He went to BestBuy and found this Memorex Optifix Motorized CD/DVD Cleaner and Scratch Repair Kit. It cost almost $20, which I find a little expensive. But then, this could save the DVD that contains the most important video

of our lives. So in short, we bought it. What is included in the package is a motorized unit with an adapter, 1 cleaning kit, 1 repair kit and the instruction booklet. It claims to repair and clean all formats of CD/DVD. The thought of having our DVD fixed excites me and this Memorex Optifix product gave me a spark of hope.

We went home immediately and see if it will work. The instructions are easy to understand, you don’t have to be an expert to do the process. It will operate on itself once the process is initiated. No manual buffing required. It just took a couple of minutes to do it. Then we tried the DVD and see if will work and the there ...

• will be no more skips as it plays. Initially, I thought it worked. The first part where the skipping started, played smoothly for 5 seconds, then it started skipping again. So my husband thought, a little more time on the motorized unit with a little more of the repair solution will do the trick. SO we did that .a couple more times. Sadly, it was not a success story. The deep scratch was still there. There is still lots of skips when the dvd is being played and what’s more upsetting is that the motorized unit gave additional swirly scratches on the surface of the disc. These can’t be wiped off. We just gave up after spending hours trying. We tried it in cleaning audio
        cds, it worked at times, other times it doesn’t. The cleaning pads need constant replacement because it wears out easily.

We are disappointed with this product. It did not satisfy our expectation. It is easy to use but effectiveness in cleaning and repair is not constantly good. To think, the whole thing is quite expensive We got a little late searching youtube. They have pretty good videos of cleaning/repairing CDs and DVDs without spending a dime. Well, our wedding DVD was not 100% repaired. It worked with lots of skips still. So if you are encountering the same problem, I would not advice you to get this product. Maybe it will do its job only on very,very slightly scratched disc otherwise, this is not the product of choice.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 161805702190431/k2311a0518/5.18.09