Delgado Community College New Orleans, LA  » Education  »
0.5
Main Campus - 615 City Park Avenue New Orleans, LA 70119
  • I've taken a total of about 8 classes there and it has been an excruciating experience, by the far the worst scholastic experience of my lifetime - and I have been to several schools and earned a Bachelor's degree

• by jadams6173

I have just completed my last final exam for the semester at Delgado Community College and I am absolutely elated that I will not need to take any additional classes at this completely sub-standard institution. I’ve taken a total of about 8 classes there and it has been an excruciating experience, by the far the worst scholastic experience of my lifetime - and I have been to several schools and earned a Bachelor’s degree. I was taking prerequisite classes there so that I could apply to nursing school, so just about all of the classes that I took were within the Science Department.

The administration is completely disorganized, so getting

registered for classes the first semester was a nightmare that literally left me in tears because I was so frustrated. Every time I talked to a different staff member, they would give me a different answer for all of my questions…and forget trying to get a hold of anyone by phone because they just don’t answer.

That always meant having to take the time out of my day to go down to the campus on my lunch break or after work. Some teachers completely ignore student questions for weeks at a time and are impossible to contact.

They generally behave as though they could care less about any obstacles that ...

• their students might be facing (although if I were making $1200 or less per semester, I might feel similarly). Most of the content of the study guides and/or class material has gross spelling and grammatical errors in it.

Students are not made aware of what resources they will need in order to be successful in the class. In the case of my A & P II Lab class, this put an undue amount of pressure on the poor lady that ran the student study lab as she was basically forced to teach us all the material that we weren’t learning in class.

Plus, the departmental policies between the different campuses

are like night and day. On one campus, teachers are allowed to curve tests but on the other they are not.

On one campus, teachers are allowed to create their own tests but on the other campus it is the department who writes the tests and the teachers who simply administer it. To make matters worse, students are not even made aware that these differences exist.

Some students who have taken classes at one campus one semester and then decided to take classes at an alternate campus the next have gotten a rude awakening by the differences in expectations of students between one campus and another. Overall, a very bad experience.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 501705700911031/k2311a0517/5.17.09