IKEA Furniture
  • This was not very expensive at all - I bought it because it looked very attractive
  • It is the favourite thing I have purchased from IKEA
  • Once or twice we have found that a screw or bolt was missing from the packet, but this is no problem, as IKEA will supply you with a replacement for free if you go back to the store with your receipt and the instructions and show them exactly which screw/bolt, etc was missing (it just means that you can't finish assembling the product as quickly as you wanted to

• by Roz Andrews
      IKEA furniture is bought from large IKEA outlets which sell only the IKEA company’s products. IKEA claims that it can offer its customers quality products at low prices because it sells such large quantities of furniture and other products. All of the products are designed by IKEA designers and made by IKEA themselves. The designs are meant to be stylish yet functional. IKEA is a Swedish company that has many furniture retail outlets throughout Europe. I don’t know how widespread they are in the USA yet - I live in the UK and have travelled fairly widely in the USA but have not yet come across an IKEA outlet.

I have been shopping at IKEA for more than 10 years now and have shopped in several IKEA outlets in the UK and Holland (where I lived for 6 years). IKEA outlets are quite similar to each other and offer a great place to shop or even just to browse. Each outlet has a cafe, so you can stop for lunch or a snack. The food is always good (although not spectacular) and very reasonably priced. There is often a Swedish dish on the menu, which is always fun to try!

Each IKEA outlet is arranged into a series of departments (living room, dining room, kitchen, bedroom, bathroom, etc).

In each department, IKEA furniture is arranged in several show ‘rooms’ which show how you could use their furniture in your own home - I find this a great way of getting ideas and inspiration for improving my home. I also like the

fact that, within each department, you can test the IKEA products - you can sit on, look at and touch all of the items without fear of pushy sales staff telling you not to or trying to sell you something!

For each room of the house, IKEA offers several ranges of furniture, ranging from the lowest priced, basic designs to the highest priced, highest quality designs, with one or two ranges in between. I have bought mainly furniture from the mid-priced ranges and have found that all of these items offer excellent value for money. The designs are attractive and functional. Specifically, I have purchased: * A bookcase with wide shelves suitable for storing files for my home office - this was bought 11 years ago at a medium price and is still going strong.

It looks attractive and is very functional - I use it to store my box files. * A desk for my home office - again bought 11 years and still being used. It doesn’t look fantastic but it is large enough and strong enough to hold my husband’s 2 computers and many other things!

* An office chair - very comfortable in a simple black design - also purchased 10 years ago and still in use. * Round dining table and 4 matching chairs. This was not very expensive at all - I bought it because it looked very attractive.

It was bought 7 years ago and is still in use. It is the favourite thing I have purchased from IKEA. * Large pine wardrobe & ...

• matching chest of drawers: These also looked very attractive in our bedroom where we had them for 5 years before selling them on at a good price before we moved from Holland to the UK. The only negative was that it took us the whole weekend to assemble both of these items (but we are not the fastest or most expert at assembling furniture!). On a few occasions, I have bought the lowest price products and have usually found them to be good value for money: * Matching wooden bedside tables - I bought these from the cheapest range because I liked how they looked.

They are still in use, 7 years on and still look good and so were excellent value for money. Like many things on sale at IKEA, they are made from plain wood and so can be painted to co-ordinate with your bedroom (IKEA sells special wood stains for use with their products). * Pine double bed frame - we bought this as a spare bed for our guest room and I must say that it was my worst purchase from IKEA. Unlike most IKEA products, it was difficult to assemble and two of the legs were wonky and could not be fixed. Having said that, it did serve its purpose as a guest bed for about 5 years, so I guess it did offer good value for money.

Apart from furniture, you can also buy rugs, cushions, storage boxes (I particulary like those), pictures and frames, mugs (excellent value for money and very colourful), plates, other

kitchenware, duvet covers and bedding (also excellent value for money) - the list is endless - why not go and have a look and see what you can find…for most items you will not be disappointed by the quality. Possible disadvantages are: all of the furniture is flat packed for self-assembly and you have to transport it home yourself (this can be difficult if you don’t have a large car, van or pickup). However, IKEA has two services to help overcome these problems: a home delivery service and a home self-assembly service, where an IKEA employee will come to your house and assemble your furniture for you. I have not used either of these services and so cannot comment on how good they are. As far as the self-assembly goes, I would say, ‘Give it a try yourself first.

’ Detailed, step-by-step instructions are always given with the furniture and you don’t usually need many tools to assemble the furniture (usually just a screwdriver or a hammer). Once or twice we have found that a screw or bolt was missing from the packet, but this is no problem, as IKEA will supply you with a replacement for free if you go back to the store with your receipt and the instructions and show them exactly which screw/bolt, etc was missing (it just means that you can’t finish assembling the product as quickly as you wanted to!). So, all in all, IKEA is a great place to go when shopping for your home, especially if you are on a budget. I would advise you to buy from the mid-priced ranges in order to ensure that you buy a quality, durable product.

IKEA Furniture

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2006. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 57170770080531/k2311a0717/7.17.06