Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete, PlayStation
  • Lunar was a very interesting game for me to play
  • I found it in a mom and pop thrift store for about 15 bucks, but it was in near mint condition
  • But it executed enough unique plot twists to keep the game from being completely dull (some of the characters also helps this problem)
  • The score is easily one of the best early era RPG soundtracks I ever heard
  • It will always be a decent playing game, but it's posterity definitely benefits for this game's having been made

• by MaSTA_SoLIDUS

AOL Messenger (required to be logged into AIM)

Lunar was a very interesting game for me to play. I found it in a mom and pop thrift store for about 15 bucks, but it was in near mint condition. It came with a large colorfully illustrated box, a leather-bound instruction manual, a pendant, and a map of the game world and a soundtrack disc. I felt I had to buy it to give it a shot.

The game’s story is an average one, so I’ll spare

the details on that. Suffice it to say if you’ve played any RPGs to this point, a game like this one is not at all unique or original to you, much how I looked at it. But it executed enough unique plot twists to keep the game from being completely dull (some of the characters also helps this problem). I say completely dull because it was dull in many other respects. The level design, even for it’s era (a remake of a Sega Saturn classic) was too repetitive, and the dialogue a bit too easy to forget.

Gameplay also was pretty standard. It looks a lot like earlier era Final Fantasies, so the game’s standard turn-based mechanics fit the look. Graphically it will leave you less than inspired, as many other RPGs released early in the PlayStation’s cycle had better variety in the sprites and environs.

This game shone in one particular area though: The ...

• Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete, PlayStation
      Music.

The score is easily one of the best early era RPG soundtracks I ever heard. And the ‘boat song’, Wind’s Nocturne, by Jennifer Stigile, is the most memorable song of the game and one of my top 5 of that era. The music alone to me made it worth the purchase.

Overall I find it a hard game to recommend with there being so many better ones available. The music alone is the best thing about the game,

and as a game experience it is more a historical piece than something to be played and enjoyed. It will always be a decent playing game, but it’s posterity definitely benefits for this game’s having been made. If you can find it for less than 30 bucks, grab it. If over 30, don’t waste your money unless you are an avid Japanese RPG fan.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 281705700720931/k2311a0517/5.17.09