Busch Gardens Europe Amusement Park-Williamsburg Virginia  » Travel  »
Busch Gardens Williamsburg,,One Busch Gardens Blvd. Williamsburg, VA 23187-8785
  • You can have the typical hamburger/hotdog fare (which a lot of kids tend to stick with) or try something like authentic German, Irish and Italian-type foods, if you are adventurous and want to get the full old world cultural experience

• by writergal
      If you plan on visiting Williamsburg, Virginia, there are other things to see besides Colonial Williamsbug-related places. One of the most popular is the Busch Gardens Europe Amusement Park. Yes, it is built and sponsored by the good old Anheuser-Busch beer people!

I went there with my cousin and her son and had a great time. You can purchase a season pass beforehand online or just buy a one day pass, as well as buy gift certificates for meals for both adults and children.

We just got the one day pass, which I did not have to pay for, since my cousin invited me to come along. They have all kinds of packages, however, so you might want to call ahead to find out what they offer or go to their online site for the most updated pricing. The first thing I will tell you is that you better make certain you are wearing some sturdy walking shoes and that you are in pretty fair physical condition, because you will be doing a lot of stepping at this

place and doing some considerable standing in line.

You absolutely need to get there early in order to get a choice parking spot. Even with a general parking pass, it’s hard to find a parking spot close to the gate, if you get there later in the day. We made the mistake of going on a Saturday, meaning we had to park a longer distance away from the gate and it was quite crowded, even though it was the early fall.

If just adults are going, then weekdays are lighter duty, from what I’ve heard, so you might want to try going there on those days. If you want to take your kids during the school year, I’ve heard from others that Sundays are preferable to Saturdays. I’m inclined to take their word on that, because the Saturday my cousin and I went, there were bunches of folks there.

All in all, though, it’s a very nice theme park and, if you are visiting Williamsburg with your kids, it will be a lot of fun for them.

• Busch Gardens Europe is centered around old European culture. There are varied themes based on individual European countries, so it was nice to pretend we were actually visiting somewhere else in the world.

The scenery is absolurely beautiful there and they obviously put a lot of work into the landscaping aspects. Of course, the main reasons for taking kids to theme parks is so they can go on the rides and stuff themselves silly. My cousin’s son loved the Loch Ness Monster, the Big Bad Wolf, the Twister and the log ride.

The lines were long on the day we went, probably because of it being Saturday and the time of day we went, but once the line started moving, my cousin’s son was able to get on the ride fairly quickly. The DarKastle, a newer ride, is a 3-D motion ride. They have a waterdrop, Escape from Pompeii, but we didn’t get on that one.

There are a few other rides as well, but since we were limited in how long we stayed that day,

we didn’t get to see those. The food there is really excellent! You can have the typical hamburger/hotdog fare (which a lot of kids tend to stick with) or try something like authentic German, Irish and Italian-type foods, if you are adventurous and want to get the full “old world” cultural experience. When you’ve been walking around this theme park for a long time, you will welcome the opportunity to sit down and eat and especially get a nice, cold drink.

The shows they have are very entertaining and professional. A lot of times they have Music Festivals with participating bands and choruses performing as well. There are a number of hotels and motels, some nearby, if you plan on staying late at the park, but I would advise you to book way in advance, especially during the summer.

Even if you don’t have kids, it’s a fabulous place to visit and a perfect “first date” place. (Just a recommendation!) If you like great scenery, delicious food and fun rides, and you want to get away from the stuffy old Colonial Williamsburg offerings, Busch Gardens Europe is the place to be.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2006. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 38170770040431/k2311a0717/7.17.06