Red Arrow Train from St. Petersburg to Moscow  » Railway  »
  • Leaving late at night from St. Petersburg and arriving around 8 in the morning in Moscow, the trip is convenient
  • I was pleasantly surprised to see 2 little boxes of food waiting for me when I found my 2nd class compartment
  • The meat spread was tasty and the bread fresh, and there was thankfully more than enough left over for breakfast the next morning, including a delicious little packaged chocolate roll
  • I was very impressed with the provodnitsa, or conductor, who came by the compartments to announce what was being served in the dining car

• by karandash

I took this train from St. Petersburg to Moscow and loved it. I’d been on other trains in the former Soviet Union, but this one was by far the most comfortable. Leaving late at night from St. Petersburg and arriving around 8 in the morning in Moscow, the trip is convenient. The bunks were thicker than on other trains, and I was pleased to find that I was able to get a decent sleep.

I was pleasantly surprised to see 2 little boxes of food waiting

for me when I found my 2nd class compartment. I had never seen anything like this before on eastern European trains, and quickly set about eating the food. The meat spread was tasty and the bread fresh, and there was thankfully more than enough left over for breakfast the next morning, including a delicious little packaged chocolate roll. I was very impressed with the provodnitsa, or conductor, who came by the compartments to announce what was being served in the dining car.

The bathroom came as a ...

• complete shock to me. It was the cleanest bathroom I have ever seen on a train. I suppose this could be due to the fact that the train was an express and the trip was only 9 hours, but it appeared well-kept. That said, it wasn’t sparkling and deluxe, but it was certainly adequate, and there were no puddles on the floor. I found the little lights that told you if the bathroom was occupied useful, as you could see these in your compartment.

I was quite

surprised to see that the Red Arrow provides passengers with disposable slippers, little headphones and a little red pouch that says, “Red Arrow” in Russian on it. These came as a welcome surprise, and I took them to use in my hostel.

Lastly, as the Red Arrow was a train for Party members during the Communist era, a song plays when the train arrives in Moscow. For me, this added to the fact that I felt a little bit more special than your average student backpacker whilst riding this train.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 441505698531231/k2311a0515/5.15.09