Joe Nemechek
  • Even though I don't like Joe Nemechek as a driver, this upset me
  • I like Wallace, so that didn't do anything to make me soften up to Nemechek

• by Orrymain

NASCAR race car driver Joe Nemechek isn’t a big favorite of mine because he’s done a few things on the track that have bugged me, including interfering with my favorite driver, Jeff Gordon. As a fan, I never forget. That said, I also feel like the man got the shaft by the Army a couple of years ago. Nemechek had been the driver of the Army-sponsored car for a long time. He was associated with it. His mom, who goes to just about

all the races, always came wearing Army gear.

Then when DEI started making changes and merged with Chip Ganassi Racing, Nemechek’s sponsorship was shifted to Mark Martin. It’s a bit convoluted and complex to track, but the important point here is that Joe Nemechek was abandoned after a long history of support. Even though I don’t like Joe Nemechek as a driver, this upset me. I guess it’s just business, but it felt so unfair and disloyal.

After that, he replaced Kenny Wallace in the Furniture Row ...

• car. I like Wallace, so that didn’t do anything to make me soften up to Nemechek. After a year, Nemechek went his own way.

Now, Nemecheck races his own team, NEMCO Racing. He has limited sponsorship for a few of the races in 2009, but most of the time so far, he’s run his car at his own expense as no one has stepped forward to sponsor his 87-car. I have to admire, at least to an extent, anyone willing to put their own money

on the line to race in this uncertain sport. It’s not an inexpensive sport by any means.

The other thing I do like about Joe Nemechek is that his son is so often with him at the track and is included on things. I like the concept of the closeness that entails.

So, Joe Nemechek may not be my style of racer, but he is a racer and he’s willing to do what it takes to keep on racing. I have to give him credit for that.

Sorry, there are no related reviews at moment
    The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 521505698321231/k2311a0515/5.15.09