Toyota Corolla XL 97
  • You can't even buy the cheapest Toyota model now at that price
  • However, everything about it is still manual

• by Kendrick Chua

It’s not the most classy nor fancy automobile that plow the streets of the metro but it sure has served my family and I well for the past 12 years.

I’m talking about our very first car, the Toyota Corolla XL 1997 model. If you’re still imagining what it looks like, I’ll give you a hint: it’s the model most taxis are, only they

are colored white while ours is red.

The Toyota was our very first car. My mom, after the sale of a piece of property decided to buy one as a means to impress my grandmother. Back then it was still cheap, only Ps. 333,000.00. You can’t even buy the cheapest Toyota model now at that price! However, everything about it is still manual. The steering wheel, the windows and side mirrors.

But since it is a Toyota, it has stood the wear and tear and test of time. Not only is it functioning properly until now, we only had tune it up, at most, four times!

Perhaps it is because the first few years when we had the car, nobody in our family knows how to drive and ...

• Toyota Corolla XL 97
      we only use it when we are going on a special trip and thus, hire a driver. Since my mom and I walk to work and school respectively, nobody really bothered taking driving lessons and so the Corolla is just stuck in the garage. The mileage reads less than 26,000km since practically the first five years of the car it was left untouched and
      now, I don’t even drive it very often since I commute to work.

It was only when in 2002 did I started driving the car after taking driving lessons. Boy it did feel so good! The car never failed us and it is the most reliable thing I possess today and even if we have bought a new car, I still love driving the Toyota Corolla.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 91305697061031/k2311a0513/5.13.09