Animal Farm, by George Orwell  » Books  »
  • In my opinion, this book paints a great and accurate picture of what communism is, it is a system of legal theft
  • The pigs (who were smarter than the rest) pretended to want the best for the community
  • Many times I believe we will find that what it is leading to we do not really want

• by graham_townson

AOL Messenger (required to be logged into AIM)

Title of Book: Animal Farm Author of Book: George Orwell Date book was written: 1956

Well I will start out by saying that this book was great! Except for a part which really made me sad (not because of the quality of the book). This book basically shoes the decline of a society into communism, and from communism into dictatorship (which is where they were before they declined into communism). I am 16 years old, not many books keep me focused on the actual book, most of the time my mind drifts off to other thoughts while I am reading. Not this book! In my opinion, this book paints a great and accurate picture of what communism is, it is a system of “legal” theft. In

this book society is portrayed as a farm. The animals on the farm rebel against the cruel farmer (Mr. Jones). The animals create their own list of rules, most of them having to do with not partaking of human activities. They believed humans were the root of all evil. From the very first chapters it was easy for me to see that the two pigs (Napoleon and Snowball) were going to basically take over. Napoleon (being the more aggressive one) kicked snowball out and placed himself as dictator and at the very end turned into a human himself. This story clearly depicts the nature of communism. The pigs (who were smarter than the rest) pretended to want the best for the community. They took advantage of ...

• the fact that the animals could not remember the past. They slowly changed the rules they first created because the pigs themselves were becoming more man-like. The pigs lied continually, but the animals still followed them because the only thing that they remembered was how bad Mr. Jones was, and supposedly the pigs were protecting the animals from Mr. Jones. Napoleon even went so far as carrying a whip, drinking bear, and walking on his two hind legs. All these things were specifically commanded against in the beginning. This book is a great eye-opener! It shows the circle created when people try to come up with their own governmental forms… they never work because of man’s natural evil passions and all will continually go in a
        circle from dictatorship to communism and back again. This book was a quick read for me, but I will remember to read it. If you are looking for a quick overview of communism, that is actually fun to read, this is the book for you! This book promotes the fact that we should all open our eyes and stop just going along with everything, we need to really think what it is leading too. Many times I believe we will find that what it is leading to we do not really want.

Thank you so much for reading this!

Graham Townson.

Feel free to contact me!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 171205696200731/k2311a0512/5.12.09