Academic Study Italian Language Set  » Education  »
1.5
  • For this reason I ended up getting this set as a gift, I had looked online and this set costs about $30 which is a good price if you consider that other sets cost up to $500 for a CD and some cards
  • While you may see this as something small I thought I would need it if ever I needed directions to or from somewhere that I had never been
  • The problem with the set is that it is very limited and while it will help you memorize words on the CD it will not help you actually learn how people use words, the form in which they write words or a true understanding of the words

• by rich

This is a set that was given to me as a gift when I was attempting to learn Italian, I had planned on traveling to Europe but I wanted to develop an understanding of their languages so that I would be able to at least ask for food, to rent a car and find my hotel if I was ever lost. I have spoken English my entire life so I knew that this would be a hard thing for me but I just wanted to learn some basic things that would allow for me to get around and enable me to not be lost in Italy.

Plus, I didn’t want to go there and be treated as an American who was too dumb or just did

not care enough to learn the language because people will treat you differently based on who you are and how they see the person they think you are.

With this being said I had taken some Italian classes that worked well for a while but after a while I forgot the concepts and also the vocabulary that I had once spent so long learning.

For this reason I ended up getting this set as a gift, I had looked online and this set costs about $30 which is a good price if you consider that other sets cost up to $500 for a CD and some cards.

Now there were things that I liked about this set and things that I did not like because it ...

• was not horrible and also not perfect.

What I did like was the CD that the set came with because it had different common words that were spoken first in English then Italian.

The speaker would say each word twice and use it in a sentence.

You are supposed to play the CD over and over in the car so that you can memorize what the person is saying and this does work after a while.

After I listened to it for about eight hours I knew most of what the speaker was going to say.

The trouble is that I was just memorizing the words and this was easy because they were always said in the same order.

However, this did not mean that

I had an understanding of the language and it also did not mean that I understand the sentence structure of the language.

While you may see this as something small I thought I would need it if ever I needed directions to or from somewhere that I had never been.

The problem with the set is that it is very limited and while it will help you memorize words on the CD it will not help you actually learn how people use words, the form in which they write words or a true understanding of the words.

Also, the cards were good for learning simple things like how to say dog but I actually learned very little and that means the set was not worth the price.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 501105695980231/k2311a0511/5.11.09