The Stand by Stephen King
  • I love that Larry, a very unlikeable character is totally changed by the novel's conclusion and I adore his relationship with Lucy

• by selphiealmasy8

Cited by King as the favorite book of his fans, if not necessarily himself, The Stand is a large book, even larger in its uncut release during the early nineties, that deals with disease, death, rebirth, redemption, love and finally God. It is my favorite book by King and possibly my favorite book of all time.

Beginning at the stage of a deadly plague’s first exposure to humanity, The Stand follows

the few survivors who have been spared and left to walk through a desecrated world wondering why they were the ones to be left. The survivors soon find themselves suffering dreams of a elderly black woman, Mother Abigail, or/and a creepy man, Randall Flagg, they view as evil. Some eventually seek out the woman, and other the man, leading up to a final show-down between evil and good.

I love the ...

• spirituality in the novel. It is an unabashedly Christian book. The characters are all fully fleshed out so that not all the sympathy is reserved for the good. I was quite moved by the story of Trashcan Man and Lloyd’s early memory of a rabbit he had when a child. My favorite characters, however, have to be Larry Underwood, Lucy Swann, Nick Andros and Tom Cullen. I love that Larry,
        a very unlikeable character is totally changed by the novel’s conclusion and I adore his relationship with Lucy. I also love the friendship between deaf and mute Nick and simple Tom Cullen.

King views Randall Flagg and the evil side of Las Vegas as very ineffectual despite the terror and damage they create. In the end they are destroyed by themselves, God’s magic working in a way that Flagg could never have foreseen.

The Stand by Stephen King

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 171105695660131/k2311a0511/5.11.09