The Marshall Shred Master Distortion Pedal (1st Generation)
2.5
  • He just bought the Marshall Shred Master Distortion Pedal and for some reason he didn't use it so I decided to give it a try
  • This was way back in the early 90's and I don't think Marshall is still manufacturing these pedals
  • I expected it to have heavy distortion like, say the Boss Metal Zone, considering its called THE Shred Master but I think it only had half the gain of the Metal Zone
  • I found it too dull in spite of its treble controls

• by 6Clix

I had a band years ago where I used most of our vocalist’s gear. I always preferred using the guitar amplifier’s distortion especially Marshall amps but I needed a stomp box just in case we had a gig and we didn’t bring any amplifiers with us or if my amp got busted. He just bought the Marshall Shred Master Distortion Pedal and for some reason he didn’t use it so I decided to give it a try. This was way back in the early 90’s and I don’t think Marshall is still manufacturing these pedals.

I always loved the distortion on Marshall amps so I was expecting that the Marshall

Shred Master Distortion Pedal would be just as good. The Shred Master had five control knobs for gain, bass, contour, treble, and volume. It had a very rugged construction, its on/off toggle switch is like that found in a foot switch for a Marshall amp, and it had a battery compartment at the bottom which was very easy to access. The Shred Master looked more rugged than other pedals and it looked indestructible.

As I mentioned, I was expecting much from this distortion pedal considering I really liked the distortion in Marshall amps but to my disappointment, the Shred Master didn’t really live up to my expectations. I ...

• actually found the Shred Master to be lacking in gain. I expected it to have heavy distortion like, say the Boss Metal Zone, considering its called THE Shred Master but I think it only had half the gain of the Metal Zone.

I also didn’t like the tone of the Marshall Shred Master Distortion Pedal. I found it too dull in spite of its treble controls. Some say they like the Shred Master for its warm and heavy sound but I didn’t find it warm and I didn’t find it heavy. I found it dull and lacking in gain. I plugged it through a Marshall amp and a

Fender amp and it still sounded dull. No one in the band really liked the sound of the Shred Master so I think it was just gathering dust in our vocalist’s closet.

The Marshall Shred Master Distortion Pedal is a very well constructed pedal, I’ll give it that. But I just don’t like its sound. I have a friend who used the Shred Master and said it sounds great but I just find its tone too dull. Maybe with an equalizer the Shred Master might sound better but at the time I tried it, I just lost interest in it right away and didn’t even bother to try it with an equalizer.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 16905693421231/k2311a059/5.9.09