The Marshall MS2 Mini Amp
  • First time I saw it, I thought it was a toy but once I plugged my guitar in, it's actually a serious amplifier

• by 6Clix

The MS2 is a small guitar practice amplifier from Marshall. I was able to borrow one from a guitarist friend of mine for a couple of weeks. I was going out of town for a couple of days and I needed a portable amplifier so he lent me his MS2. First time I saw it, I thought it was a toy but once I plugged my guitar in, it’s actually a serious amplifier. I was very surprised by the performance of this cool little amplifier.

The Marshall MS2 Mini Amp is so small it stands at only 14 cm.

It has a width of 11 cm and is only 6 cm thick. It’s powered by a 9V battery and it has three knobs for volume, tone, and overdrive. The overdrive knob is just an on/off switch so you can’t really make adjustments to its gain. It has one guitar input and one output for headphones. It also has a belt clip which is cool since it allows you to play almost anywhere, anytime so when I’m in my bedroom practicing and I want to grab something from the fridge, I just go downstairs, eat a sandwich, and continue practicing ...

• in the kitchen!

The tone of the Marshall MS2 Mini Amp is like that of regular Marshall amps downsized to a tiny 1 watt half stack. Even its overdrive sounds good. It actually produces enough volume for you to practice in your room. I didn’t think it could play loud enough since it’s so tiny but when I plugged my guitar in, it was loud enough with a pure Marshall tone.

The overdrive of the Marshall MS2 Mini Amp can be turned on or off with a knob. You can’t really adjust the amount of gain but it’s okay since the overdrive

already sounds good as it is. I tried playing my Fender Telecaster through it with a few effects pedals and it still sounds good. The MS2 delivers like a regular amplifier fifty times its size!

The Marshall MS2 Mini Amp is a serious amplifier with a serious tone. Don’t let its looks deceive you since it’s not a toy. If you’re looking for a really portable practice amp that you can take anywhere then this is the amp for you. It delivers tone just like any regular amplifier. And this is not just any small practice amplifier. It’s a Marshall.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 16905693401231/k2311a059/5.9.09