The Hot Cabs 158 Guitar Amplifier  » Electronics  »
  • I bought it when I first got into guitar playing
  • If Hot Cabs were still in business, there's just no way I'm buying another one of their amps even if they just cost a dollar but I say this since it has been years since I started with the guitar and I now know what a good amp sounds like

• by 6Clix

Hot Cabs was a brand of guitar amplifiers in the 90’s. They seem to have disappeared before the new millennium. The Hot Cabs 158 Guitar Amplifier was the first amplifier I ever bought. It had 15 watts and featured 2 channels, clean and overdrive. It had two guitar inputs, high and low; it had knobs for volume on each channel; master volume, and three equalizers. It had two little buttons to switch between the two channels. It had an output jack for headphones and a pre-out jack at

the back as well as an input jack for a footswitch.

The Hot Cabs 158 Guitar Amplifier was a very cheap amplifier. I bought it when I first got into guitar playing. It didn’t sound good at all but it served its purpose as a practice amp. At that time, I didn’t have any effects pedals so its over drive channel was a really nice feature. Since it was just a 15 watt guitar amplifier, it wasn’t a powerful sounding amp either. This was okay since it didn’t really sound good and I didn’t want to crank up the volume anyway.

As a beginners amplifier, the Hot Cabs 158 Guitar Amplifier served its purpose. Though it didn’t sound as good as other amplifiers, it was good enough to play with my equally crappy guitar. It was good enough for practicing by myself and when I eventually had some effects pedals, it was good enough for practicing in my room. This amplifier isn’t really good for anything else but practicing in your own room. And the only reason for buying it is ...

• The Hot Cabs 158 Guitar Amplifier
      because its very cheap.

Having said all that, the Hot Cabs 158 Guitar Amplifier at least made me a better guitar player. It allowed me to practice for hours until I got better at the guitar. Tone-wise, there’s just really nothing good to say about it. Even the mini-amps from Marshall sound 10 times better. Any intermediate guitar player or a beginner even, would certainly stay away from this amp unless the primary reason for buying an amp is budget.

The Hot Cabs 158 Guitar Amplifier is an amp for beginners

and such, I give full credit to it. It has pretty good features for a beginners amp like 2 channels, 2 inputs, and 3 equalizers. Everything else about the amplifier though sucks, especially its tone which is everything that matters for a guitar amp. If Hot Cabs were still in business, there’s just no way I’m buying another one of their amps even if they just cost a dollar but I say this since it has been years since I started with the guitar and I now know what a good amp sounds like.

frank says :

it was my very first amp and it was cheap, an ok choice back in the day for those just learning and playing with pickups as shitty as the amp itself.
after some years of regular use the speaker was completely worn out.
I guess it said made in usa, which might be true as I’d never seen a Chinese product so poorly built.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 16905693391231/k2311a059/5.9.09