The Yamaha DGX 505 Portable Grand Keyboard  » Electronics  »
2.5
  • Unfortunately, the Yamaha DGX 505 Portable Grand also has the disadvantages found in the DGX 305
  • The Yamaha DGX 505 Portable Grand, however, can be connected to a pc via usb so it lessens this problem to a degree
  • However, I don't like connecting to the pc every time I play since I'm lazy and I think it's too much work

• by 6Clix

The DGX 505 Portable Grand is an 88-key keyboard from Yamaha. Apart from having 88 keys, it’s pretty much the same as the Yamaha DGX 305. Like the DGX 305, it comes in a package with a music rest, an owner’s manual, an accessory CD-ROM but unlike the DGX 305 it also comes with a keyboard stand and a footswitch. Its keyboard stand looks nice and elegant and is designed specifically for the Yamaha DGX 505 and is not just a generic keyboard stand.

The Yamaha DGX 505 Portable Grand shares

the same features as the DGX 305 except for those already mentioned. The features include 121 panel voices, 12 drumkits, 359 XG Lite voices, and 2 XG Lite optional voices. It also has 32 polyphony and dual and split voice features as well as 135 Preset styles and one user style file. The voices sound really good especially its main piano voice called Portable Ground which sounds superb.

The feature called Performance Assistant is also found in the Yamaha DGX 505 Portable Grand. What this does is it adjusts the backing tracks or style file that’s being played such that the music still sounds good and in key no matter what’s being hammered on the keyboard. This together with another feature called Repeat and Learn where playback is continued up to the point at which the Repeat and Learn button is pressed then playback would jump back 4-10 measures depending on the user’s setting and begin again after a count-in, are certainly great for beginners especially kids who want to start learning how to play the piano.

Unfortunately, the ...

• The Yamaha DGX 505 Portable Grand Keyboard
      Yamaha DGX 505 Portable Grand also has the disadvantages found in the DGX 305. Recording is limited to five songs total, it uses Smart Media for external memory storage, and its speakers’ volume is a bit low for me. Smart Media is already obsolete and I could no longer find one in my area to buy. The Yamaha DGX 505 Portable Grand, however, can be connected to a pc via usb so it lessens this problem to a degree. However, I don’t like connecting to the pc every
      time I play since I’m lazy and I think it’s too much work!

Overall, the Yamaha DGX 505 Portable Grand is a very good instrument. I have a Yamaha DGX 305 and I also like it very much. The DGX 505, however, looks more elegant than the DGX 305 with its stand. The Yamaha DGX 505 Portable Grand not only plays nice but looks nice as well. If you’re looking for a good sounding 88-key portable keyboard, look no further. The Yamaha DGX 505 Portable Grand is an excellent choice.

wenly says :

how much is the yamaha portable gran dgx 505

6clix replies :

Hello Wenly Bought my dgx 505 four years ago for about 600 U.S. dollars. Don`t know how much they cost now but I think the dgx series have been replaced by the ypg series which are very similar to the former but with a bit more modern design. Hope this helps. 6clix

jim says :

I bought one a dgx-505 brand new GBP 350. Best thing I ever bought, a wonderful piece of machinery and technology…..JIM

Bill says :

Can I use an external device Roland PK-5 Dynamic MIDI Foot Pedal to trigger the DGX-505 or DGX-305 via MIDI using the USB port?

6clix replies :

Hi Bill. Sorry for the late reply. As far as I know, the USB port is for connecting the dgx-305 to a pc so I do not think it’s possible to trigger it via a foot pedal through the usb port. Hope this helps.

Brit says :

I do not have my manual, and I was wondering if there was a way to lower the volume on the left side of the keyboard possibly from middle c down, because it sounds louder to me than the upper half. if there is a way of programing it to do so I would greatly appreciate knowing how. Thank you.

JIM says :

Yes…Go into Functions press Plus or minus - buttons until it says Style volume . Turn Wheel situated immediately above plus minus buttons to increase or decrease volume……JIM

Rosemary says :

I m not very familiar with all of the functions of my Yamaha DGX 505. There are several songs that have been pre-loaded and I enjoy listening to them. I m not a very good pianist but I love to listen to piano music. Is it possible to buy pre-recorded music to listen to using the piano? If so is it possible you could direct me?
Thanks.

Joseph says :

I think it’s really good,it’s reminds me of old times.

jim says :

Have had hell on earth trying to buy a Smart media Card for my Yamaha dgx-505 electronic piano. Found out how easy it was after trying all the major stores. CONTACT YAMAHA HEAD OFFICE TEL. 01908 366700 AND ASK FOR SPARES DEPT. At Amazon etc, they want GBP 44.99 for smart card…. From Yamaha direct…only GBP 33.50

Thanks for the info Jim.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 16905693371231/k2311a059/5.9.09