The Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal  » Electronics  »
  • I like heavy distortion myself since I play heavy metal but the kind of fuzz distortion offered by the DS-1 is also nice

• by 6Clix

The DS-1 is a distortion pedal from Boss and like most, if not all, Boss products, its quality is very good. The Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal comes in a box with a user’s manual and a battery but without a power adaptor. It is very well built like all of Boss’ single- pedals and battery replacement is very easy to do.

I don’t usually use batteries with my effects pedals since they tend to “die” in the middle of long gigs so I use a power adaptor with my pedals. You can buy Boss’ power adaptor but you can use any

power adaptor that matches the specifications of the pedal. I’ve been using cheap, generic power adaptors for my Boss pedals and they work just fine without damaging them.

The Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal has 3 knobs and they are for tone, level, and distortion. This makes it very easy to use. Its distortion is not as heavy as other distortion pedals like, say, the Boss MT-2 “Metal Zone” but its good enough for rock. It does tend to sound a little “thin” but with a little tweaking of your amp’s equalizers, you should be able to get a pretty thick distorted sound.

Some ...

• people don’t like the thin or “fizzy” sound of the Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal but this pedal isn’t supposed to have a very “heavy” distortion. There are other pedals out there like the Metal Zone that provide heavier distortion. I like heavy distortion myself since I play heavy metal but the kind of “fuzz” distortion offered by the DS-1 is also nice. This pedal is obviously not for you if you play in a thrash or death metal band but it does stack up well if linked to other distortion pedals.

The Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal would really shine if used

with an equalizer or a good tube amp. If its bass frequencies are boosted, the pedal would have a degree of heaviness and warmth. I usually turn the bass equalizer in my amp all the way up when I’m using the DS-1 just to compensate for its lack of bass.

Overall, the Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal is another good single-pedal from Boss. It produces pretty good distortion and it’s well built. If you play rock, then this distortion is okay. If you play in a thrash band, however, you would certainly not like this pedal since it’s distortion is not very heavy.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 16905693351231/k2311a059/5.9.09