SugarGliders as Pets
  • They have a massive home, they have company and attention and the best diet of fresh fruits and veggies
  • I think maybe, they are not meant to be pets and may never be completely domesticated

• by Rielle

Sugar gliders are a popular and fairly new exotic pet. I own two, named willow and george. They are marketed as pocket pets and are supposed to form very strong bonds to their humans.

I did everything I knew to do and a lot of what I read to bond with these creatures . They have a massive home, they have company and attention and the best diet of fresh fruits

and veggies.

I even purchase Baby and toodler food for them. Let’s not forget the expensive vitamins and supplements and all the best toys, hammocks, bedding,pouches and hiding places.

My Gliders could not ask for more. They are not pocket pets.

One allows me to pet her just a little inside the cage. The male still bites me after 3 years of care.

Neither of them will be caught dead in anyones ...

• pocket! Niether of them will come into my hand, however both will take a yummy treat from me. I feel I am more their pet than they are mine! They show absolutely no affection.

I don’t doubt that some people have gliders that will sit on their shoulders and show affection but I find it hard to believe that it is very common. A part of me even feels guilt at

owning these wild creatures.

I think maybe, they are not meant to be pets and may never be completely domesticated. In addition to getting no love from my gliders, they continually breed.

When the babies are born and I’m good and attached a wek or so later. Boom.

one of the parents kills them and I am heart broken. Sugargliders are not pocket pets and I don’t believe one can be happy in a cage.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 29705689020431/k2311a057/5.7.09