Answer Racing Helmet Comet Rockstar  » Cars  »
  • The amazing thing about it is the fact that it DOES NOT absorb sweat
  • I went all the way from Bangkok to Chiang Mai with it and I decided to put some tissue in my ears at the first gas stop
  • My bike runs only a 160 km/h and at that speeds it's still not really a problem
  • I don't think it's really a problem when riding on streets, but if someone wanted to use it for racing it could be a different story
  • I think the Comet helmet offers a lot of bang for the buck

• by pacovl46

I recently bought a Comet helmet (ROCKSTAR ENERGY DRINK paint job), manufactured by Answer Racing, at a fair in Bangkok. The original price would have been 5,800 Baht. I got it for 4,700 Baht, which equals roughly 134 American dollars. (1 dollar=35 Baht)

Let’s take a look at the features first:

The helmet was made in Taiwan in 2008, and its shell is made from Powercore resin (Polycarbonate). It is Snell and DOT approved. The visor is injection molded and can be adjusted in height by about an inch (only the front, not the entire visor), which I really like. It is fastened to the helmet by three plastic screws. The ones at the sides of the helmet require a coin, a screwdriver or strong fingers to open them. The one on the front can be opened with bare hands, and looks like the propeller of a plane or a throwing star.

The helmet has one air vent opening each to the left and the right of the visor’s front screw, which can be closed. There are a total of four exits. Two are located on the upper back of your head, which are covered by triangular pieces of plastic and can be closed as well. The other two are located at the back bottom edge of the helmet (in between your ears and the beginning of your neck). These are covered in a metal mesh that appears to have been either chrome plated or made of some stainless metal. The mesh looks really nice!!!

There’s a total of six openings in the mouth area. They are also covered with a metal mesh. The four in the middle are integrated into

one piece of plastic, which can be easily removed for cleaning by unscrewing it. The holes in that mesh are fairly big. Behind the metal mesh is another mesh which is made of some black fabric. The holes in this one are smaller, and it seems to be glued into place.

The holes in the mesh of the other two openings are smaller than the ones in the middle (same material and hole size as the nice ones on the back). They are located to the sides of the middle piece and integrated into the helmet, which means they can’t be removed. The mesh does a great job at keeping insects out of your mouth. There’s another row of small rectangular air vents located at the top of the face opening of the helmet.

The liner is made of expanded polystyrene and a synthetic comfort lining. It can be completely taken out and washed, which comes in handy in hot countries like Thailand for instance.

Now let’s move on to the review part:

My first impression when I tried on the helmet was that it actually felt like a helmet, unlike the 5 dollar nutshell that came with my CBR 150R!!! The liner is really soft and comfortable. The amazing thing about it is the fact that it DOES NOT absorb sweat. After a longer ride on a vehicle of your choice you might look like you’ve just taken a shower, but the liner is still dry, which I find amazing. I own this helmet now for two months. I used it every single day and it still doesn’t smell one bit!!!

The vents do a good job, but since ...

• the helmet is black (I was on a budget and the Rockstar was the only one they had in stock), and I live in Thailand I still have wet hair after a longer ride. But as I said before the liner stays dry.

The helmet has a double D-ring strap, which features a button the strap can be attached to so it won’t flap in the wind. The double D-ring strap is the safest of all systems, but requires a bit of fiddling and more time to close and open it. It never loosened up while riding, so I’m really happy with it. My former nutshell in comparison needed readjustment every other day or so.

I went for a moto-x helmet because it doesn’t have a visor like a regular helmet. This is a big advantage in hot countries like Thailand because more air can enter the helmet. The downside of it is that it gets really loud beyond speeds of 130 km/h. I went all the way from Bangkok to Chiang Mai with it and I decided to put some tissue in my ears at the first gas stop. The visor on top is great to protect you from sunlight but you are also prone to wind at higher speeds. My bike runs only a 160 km/h and at that speeds it’s still not really a problem.

The only negative thing I can report about this helmet is the fact that the googles push down on my nostrils, which impedes my breathing a bit. I think the helmet is a bit front heavy. This is my first moto-x helmet so I’m not sure if this is normal. Maybe

this problem can be solved with different googles. When my current pair is ready to be retired I’m gonna experiment with different pairs to see if it makes a difference. The breathing problem annoyed me very much on the first day, but now it’s OK. I don’t think it’s really a problem when riding on streets, but if someone wanted to use it for racing it could be a different story. The cool thing about the visor is that when you have it in its highest position, and you are going at a higher speed, it provides lift and hence let’s you breath easier ;-).

Conclusion:

I think the Comet helmet offers a lot of bang for the buck. Removable and washable liner that doesn’t smell and doesn’t absorb sweat, good vents, double D-ring, adjustable visor, and a removable metal mesh in the mouth area. It’s comfortable, Snell and DOT approved, looks great, and is really affordable. If you are looking for a new helmet and you get the chance to try one on, do it. I’m glad I bought mine. I feel protected. The only thing I have to change is the color. I’m going to have it painted in white, because Thailand is far too hot for a black one. As long as you are on the go you cannot really feel the heat, but as soon as you are in the city, or even worse, stop-and-go your head gets hot.

I’m giving it only a 9 because of the breathing problem. This might be unfair, because I don’t know if this is a problem with this particular helmet only, or the googles I’m using, or simply all moto-x helmets.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 9705688620431/k2311a057/5.7.09