Norris Dam State Park
125 Village Green Circle, Lake City, Tennessee
  • Most of them are just under a mile so I consider them to be nothing more than a short stroll in the park
  • One of the most interesting sites in Norris Dam is the Lenoir Museum
  • So I think it is the cheapest way to travel around and see best of what America has to offer

• by Sadonna

The Norris Dam State park is what we call a hop, skip and jump away, in our neck of the woods. It is located just 28 miles off highway 441 from down town Knoxville, Tennessee. Making it is close enough for many people to enjoy for an afternoon stroll or a weekend getaway. It is just far enough off the beaten path that is has a solitary feel to the atmosphere without all the noise of the highway traffic.

This park is pretty good sized with approximately 17 or more short trails for you to try out. Most of them are just under a mile so I consider them to be nothing more than a short stroll in the park. Each one offers different things to see. I liked the Hootin Hollow trail even though it was short. By my standards 1.1 miles is by no means long at all, it is merely just good for stretching

your legs. Of course you could see other parts of the park by renting a pontoon boat and taking it out for a spin on the lake that has more than 700 miles of shoreline. But I warn you it might take all day if you want to really see it all, even by boat.

One of the most interesting sites in Norris Dam is the Lenoir Museum. It offers a glimpse into what life would have been like in the old days. They have a display of a variety of old kerosene lanterns, hand tools bottles, to include the famous moonshine jugs and a wood stove that can be used for heat as well as cooking. My favorite thing was the rice grist mill because it was the first one I had ever seen in person.

They offer twenty five campsites at the east side campground and fifty at the west side campground.

• The east side campground has a primitive camping loop while the west side campground is in the process of setting up an area for backpackers to camp, unfortunately it is not ready yet. I was hopeful when I saw it is on the map on the website. However, when I contacted the office to inquire about a permit to check it out, they said it was not finished yet and the person I spoke to could not give me a completion date at this point. So maybe by the next time we are planning a backpack outing it will be completed.

Some of the parks that offer back country camping do not seem to charge a fee, but still require a permit, except the Big South Fork which always charges for every form of camping, so always check before you go. The rate for regular campsites is twenty dollars but you can’t find a motel for

that price. So I think it is the cheapest way to travel around and see best of what America has to offer.

I don’t really think that any park should ever charge for back country camping though. The parks are maintained with our tax dollars and are very often created with land that has been donated to the state from some individual or group. I realize they have to maintain the parks but if you are camping in the middle of the woods they do not really maintain those sites? I doubt they do much to them other than maybe minor clean up. After all back in the 1800’s people did not pay to camp when they traveled west but I guess the times have changed a lot from back then. Still I wish we were free to travel like that, and that we would not be harassed by the law for minding our own business like today.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 38605688330131/k2311a056/5.6.09