Houston Valley Recreation Area  » Travel  »
Highway 107 in the Cherokee National Forest
  • He got a job working there for the summer which will offer him very valuable work experience
  • It was much smaller than I thought it would be as there were only eight campsites

• by Sadonna

On a trip to Dollywood we decided we would try out the Houston Valley Recreation Area for a place to camp. What we did not realize is how far away from Dollywood the campground really is. It was basically a two hour ride which means it sort of defeated the purpose of camping to begin with. I say that because it is only a three hour ride to the house form there.

On our way to the Houston Valley Recreation Area, we dropped off our son at Camp Buck Toms for staff week orientation. He got a job working there for the summer which will offer him very valuable work experience. Then we got lost driving to the park because of all of the road construction going on in Knoxville. We finally got directions from a

gas station attendant. So now that we were once again headed in the right direction we figured we would be there shortly.

However we ran into more problems with road construction and detours. Now we had been driving more than four hours from our house to what should have been three hours or less away and yet we had only made it to Townsend. My husband frustrated by the amount of time it was taking to find the campground stopped off and bought a bottle of liquor.

About thirty miles latter we finally found the campground. It was much smaller than I thought it would be as there were only eight campsites. I however did like the small bridge we crossed to enter the campground. The creek ran parallel to the road and across from the first campsites. The bathrooms was the first thing we saw. Then a picnic area with a volleyball net. It was now nearly dark and approximately nine o’clock. We pulled and registered. We choose a campsite close to the bathrooms and began to set up our tents. Then we cooked some dinner and went to bed. Then next morning we packed up everything and went to Dollywood.

When we got back, someone had taken the spot we had the night before. So we went around the loop to the top of the hill and choose another spot just above the spot we had the night before. It had a path through the woods that led down to the bathrooms. So this was a logical choice. We had no more than set up camp and begun to cook ...

• Houston Valley Recreation Area
      when the rangers came around.

My husband had poured a glass of his liquor and mixed it with coke he had drank about two drinks when we were approached by theses Nazi style rangers. When they discovered that my husband was drinking they took his bottle and dumped it. They then proceeded to write him a ticket for a 125.00 for public drunkenness. I could not believe it because he was not bothering anyone. We were in our campsite that we paid for not out running around.

They said if we would have had it 50 feet on the other side of the road that they would not have bothered us because it was part of the national forest and not part of the state park. I argued a bit but they said it was on

the sign where we registered that drinking in the park was prohibited. I looked at the sign it was there but in small print on a separate piece of paper away from the main rules because they had just changed the law within the last couple of years. It was dark when we checked in so I don’t understand why they would fault us for not noticing that small of a sign.

The campground overall was small but nice but I doubt we will ever go back there after having to deal with the rangers that were so rude. I don’t see why they should have the right to search our car and harass us the way they did over something so simple. The fee for camping was only 7.00 a night, it is located off highway 107.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 38605688130131/k2311a056/5.6.09