Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe
  • I can not stress enough how annoying and disappointing this is
  • I wanted to love this game but they just screwed it up by making it such a hassle to play

• by David Finniss

I had been wanting to pick this up for a long time. My roommate and I went to Walmart the other day and I went ahead and bought it. We got back to our apartment, put the game in and started to play. We got two fights in before the game froze. We restarted it and got nothing. The process repeated itself a few more times before we gave up. I tried it on my 360 and got nothing. The console couldn’t read the disc.

Today, we went back to Walmart, I traded it in for another copy. I put the disc in my 360 and, once again the Xbox was having trouble reading the disc. I wipe it off, blow into the CD port and after several minutes,

it works. I play through the Story mode on the DC side with no trouble. It lags a bit during a few cutscenes but it’s nothing major.

A few hours later, I turned it back on to play through the MK side of the story. Just making it to the title screen is an epic battle in and of itself. I don’t get it. The disc is clean and the Xbox works, yet for some reason the game fights you tooth and nail every step of the way. Honestly, I swear to God, Allah, Buddha, Vishnu, Odin and Gozer, this is the most stubborn game I have ever come across. When the disc does get read, the game freezes up. The struggle between the game and console is audible ...

• as you can hear the engines whirring loudly trying to get the bloody thing to work.

Don’t they test these things before they ship them off to stores? There’s no excuse for this. I shouldn’t have to sit on the floor starting and restarting my Xbox for an hour just to play a freakin game (when it freezes up the controller becomes unresponsive so I have to turn the console off manually.)

When I do get to play, it is an enjoyable game. The controls are easy to learn. I find that the computer tips the scales in its favor: a hit from me will send the opponent staggering backwards giving it some time to recover, while a hit from the opponent will freeze me in place allowing for rapid combos to be delivered. That’s a

minor gripe. The graphics are pretty solid as is the voice acting. The story is a bit of a stretch but given the “rules” of both universes, it makes enough sense to work.

The game would garner a higher score would that the thing would actually play. I can not stress enough how annoying and disappointing this is. I wanted to love this game but they just screwed it up by making it such a hassle to play. They should’ve waited and gotten all the bugs out of it before releasing it. As it is, rent it first, if you can find a copy that isn’t so buggy and quick to freeze up then more power to you, go ahead and pick it up as the game itself is quite good.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 28605686761031/k2311a056/5.6.09