Nassau, Bahamas  » Travel  »
2.0
  • We were in Nassau for 9 hours during our cruise and I wasn't really impressed with Nassau

• by wongfeihung

We were in Nassau for 9 hours during our cruise and I wasn’t really impressed with Nassau. The cruise port has a welcome center with food, entertainment, and shops. There wasn’t anything special about it.

It was a typical tourist center. We wanted to take a cab to Atlantis and were approached by a cab company rep, who made us wait outside for 15 minutes with a small group.

The main

street in front of the welcome center was crazy. There were no lights and the traffic was crazy and unorganized.

When the cab finally came, we couldn’t fit in the cab because the cab rep was trying to jam too many people in it. So we ditched the cab rep and found an available cab in a few minutes! The ride to Atlantis was just 10 minutes.

We didn’t want to spend any money at Atlantis, so we just took a tour of the shopping mall, casino, aquarium, and part of the outside grounds. They actually charge for the aquarium, but we easily snuck in.

There was nothing special about the shopping mall. The casino was pretty cool because they had some glass and stone sculptures.

But the best part would be the aquarium. They had tons of fish and a few ...

• Nassau, Bahamas
      massive manta rays.

And the aquarium is decorated with stone sculptures and other fictional artifacts. Overall I was impressed with Atlantis.

Now the rest of Nassau wasn’t as impressive. We went on a city highlights tour, which included Parliament Square, the Governor’s Mansion, Gregory’s Arch, Water Tower, Fort Fincastle, and Queen’s staircase.

The only thing worth visiting is the Queen’s staircase, which is a 102 foot tall staircase carved out of

one piece of limestone and surrounded by a massive wall. Once we got back to the welcome center, we walked around the main street and bought a few souvenirs, which were fairly priced.

I didn’t feel very safe on the streets and I was approached by a drug dealer. I would go to Nassau just to stay at Atlantis, but I wouldn’t leave the resort because the rest of Nassau isn’t worth seeing.

Carla Rossouw says :

re : We were in Nassau for 9 hours during our cruise and I wasn’t really impressed with Nassau
This biggest mistake tourists make about a destination is that they don t read. If you you googled to read about Nassau, you would have realised very quickly that Cruise lines offer this destination because it is a cheap cruise to do. Most people stay onboard (those are the ones who didn t read) and enjoy the ship. The rest of the guys don t do a city tour. They don t go to Atlantis. Nassua is a Beach Destination. You go snorkelling, fishing and parasailing. You don t hang around downtown Nassau ( not even crew members does that) or you stay onboard and enjoy the ship (you paid for it after all) If you are cruising because you want to see the world, you are buying the wrong cruises.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 38405685451231/k2311a054/5.4.09