Ikea Richmond, BC
3200 Sweden Way, Richmond, BC, Canada
  • I like the clean lines, the minimalist style, the relatively low prices, and the generally easy assembly of the furniture, once you get it home
  • I enjoy looking at the Ikea catalogue that comes to my house twice a year, and I admire the products in friends' houses
  • I know there are people, those who must have time on their hands, who make a day of a shopping trip to Ikea
  • But no matter how helpful the staff is or how useful the store displays are, shopping at Ikea remains one of my least favourite things to do

• by Jessie Bahrey

I will admit it-I like Ikea products. I like the clean lines, the minimalist style, the relatively low prices, and the generally easy assembly of the furniture, once you get it home. I enjoy looking at the Ikea catalogue that comes to my house twice a year, and I admire the products in friends’ houses. I currently have a bookcase, a table, several chairs and a shelving unit in my home that I purchased at Ikea. I even have plans on purchasing a bed frame, and painting it bright red. However, much as I like Ikea products, I detest shopping at Ikea stores.

Ikea Richmond, which is the nearest location to

my home, is just like all the other stores I have visited-a crowded, confusing labyrinth of passageways connecting various rooms set up to display all of the store’s products. There are maps available to help, and most of the passageways have signs with arrows pointing out the way to desired areas, but it is still a zoo. Despite the signs and maps and even the various ’shortcuts’ available, I inevitably find myself wandering aimlessly, following the people in front of me, not having a clue where I am going to end up. I will stop and browse in a section that interests me or that catches my eye for some reason,

• but even though I always have a specific goal in mind before I walk into the store, (I would have to have a specific reason to ever go into the store), I never seem to be able to just go to the department I wish to go to, find the desired product, and then leave. I always end up doing the hour plus meandering through the entire store.

I know there are people, those who must have time on their hands, who make a day of a shopping trip to Ikea. I am not, nor will I ever be, one of those people. That is not to say that I have

not found things I need at this store, because I have. There are even some store employees who will cheerfully help shoppers find what they are looking for, and help them mark it down on their little Ikea shopping list paper. The rooms that display the store’s products are helpful because they showcase the products set up as one would have them in their house, not just as a display at a store. This makes it easier to imagine how the products will look in your home. But no matter how helpful the staff is or how useful the store displays are, shopping at Ikea remains one of my least favourite things to do.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 573004684760930/k2311a0430/4.30.09