Lake Cowichan Lodge Cowichan, BC  » Hotels  »
2.0
201 Cowichan Lake Road, Cowichan, BC, Canada
  • I have stayed in some very remote places throughout North America, for work and also because I love fishing and hiking in places located off the beaten track
  • Some of the very nicest hotels or bed and breakfast accommodations, the ones with the prettiest scenery and quietest locations, are in the small towns and villages, and I have enjoyed some lovely stays at many of them
  • Lake Cowichan Lodge does provide a convenient place to stay for the workers working on jobs sites in the area, but for anyone searching for a comfortable, quiet hotel in the area, this is not a good option

• by Jessie Bahrey

I have stayed in some very remote places throughout North America, for work and also because I love fishing and hiking in places located off the beaten track. Some of the very nicest hotels or bed and breakfast accommodations, the ones with the prettiest scenery and quietest locations, are in the small towns and villages, and I have enjoyed some lovely stays at many of them. My night at Lake Cowichan Lodge, however, was not one of the nicer ones during my travels.

We had decided to fish for steelhead in the Cowichan River, in Cowichan, BC, located on the south end of Vancouver Island. It was spring, and very wet, but that is to be expected in the rain forest. We had a few bites, but didn’t manage to catch anything, but
      it was still fun to hike in to the wilderness. We decided to check in to a hotel in town, to get dry and get a good sleep so we could get an early start in the morning. There is only one main street in Cowichan, and we drove into the first hotel/motel we saw, which was the Lake Cowichan Lodge. We didn’t really care much about luxury, but we just wanted something comfortable. From the outside, the hotel is a two-storey, old, apartment style building. We got a room with a queen bed for $120, which is a standard price for most lower to medium-end hotel rooms in Canada; however, it did not live up to even the lowest-end chain hotels in any category.

The location, on the main street, may have ...

• been near any restaurants or cafes in town, but the steady hum of the traffic was noticeable even in the afternoon. The room was a decent size, and it did have a kitchenette, which would make it ideal for loggers or other workers who needed to stay near a job site. It was as clean as it could be, given the age and the deterioration of the walls, floor, bathroom fixtures, and furniture, but everything had a feeling of griminess about it. The bed was horribly soft, with old linens and a flowered bedspread which I immediately took off and put out of my sight. The room, as well as the lobby and hallways, smelled of stale smoke. After finding a sandwich place down the street for dinner, as the hotel does not have any dining facility, we settled in for a less than ideal night-the noise from the main street and the highway some distance away, the televisions in the rooms around us, and the comings and goings of various contractors staying in the hotel, kept us awake most of the night. It was not a relaxing evening or a restful night, and we were happy to be back on the road the next morning. There are places in the surrounding area that offer more luxury, which we could have found if we had made an effort. Lake Cowichan Lodge does provide a convenient place to stay for the workers working on jobs sites in the area, but for anyone searching for a comfortable, quiet hotel in the area, this is not a good option.

Mary says :

I work at the hotel you have reviewed Lake Cowichan Lodge I have a few issues with statements you wrote. The first being how the building is a two-storey old apartment like building, which you know it is not. You also stated that you stayed in the spring for 120. a night, which we do not charge that much ever in the sping and the nastiness you wrote of `the overall griminess` the room has, which if you really did stay with us, you also know that is not true, we have fully trained and experienced housekeepers that have worked here for years. We are also a non-smoking building and have been for quite a few years so if you did really stay you, know that your statement about the stale smoke is also not factual. I do not understand why you would post something that you know to be not truthful, are you trying to get back at someone? If so please call me at 1-800-887-1288 and I would love to discuss this with you. I understand that you are using a pen name, which I don`t understand given that your review is very damaging is that why? So if you would like to call me and tell me first hand how your stay was, I would appreciate your input.

Jessie Bahrey replies :

I am under no obligation to call you but suffice to say I have the receipt for my stay, so it is factual. I do not have any reason to make anything up.

Mary says :

Again, I would like proof that you stayed here. I find it odd that if you ever stayed here you didn`t alert the front desk that you did not enjoy your stay, you are right you are no obligation to call me, but writing a review on a site that pays you to do so, to me is evidence that you are just trying to damage a well respected hotel. On legitimate sites where you can submit factual reviews, proof would be nice that indeed a reviewer did actual stay. I do believe that getting paid for your reviews is my proof that you are not being truthful in your description of my property.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 23004684730930/k2311a0430/4.30.09