Spinnakers Gastro Brewpub and Guesthouses Victoria, BC  » Restaurants  »
308 Catherine Street, Victoria, BC, Canada
  • I had been in the bar many years earlier, before it added the guesthouses, the bed and breakfast facilities near the main facility, and at that time, I had enjoyed the different microbrewery ales and pilsners
  • My favourite feature was the suggestions for beer pairings to accompany the meals
  • I think we may have spent longer at Spinnakers than we did, and we certainly would have tried more beer, if given the choice to sample a few
  • While the additions of the guest houses and other locations, as well as a store, are nice feature of Spinnakers, and their promotion of local ingredients used in the products they serve is unique, the brewpub is not the best I have been to by a long shot
  • The experience was just okay, and I always hope for great

• by Jessie Bahrey

I had been looking forward to visiting Spinnakers Gastro Brewpub for awhile, as it is advertised as Canada’s first brewpub, and its location on Victoria, BC’s inner harbour is a pretty area. I had been in the bar many years earlier, before it added the guesthouses, the bed and breakfast facilities near the main facility, and at that time, I had enjoyed the different microbrewery ales and pilsners. I had not remembered the food, but in the years since my last visit, Spinnakers had also added two other locations in the area, one dedicating most of

its efforts on serving local wines, and had expanded the waterfront restaurant to include the guesthouses. From what I had read, the owners had begun to concentrate on locally grown ingredients to be used in their beer and food, and had changed its name to the trendy ‘Gastro Brewpub’ and I was anxious to see how this change had affected the place.

The restaurant area has certainly expanded in size, and the location does ad to the charm, with views of the city’s inner harbour from the patio, lounge and some of the tables in the main dining area. The interior is certainly an upscale restaurant, rather than a bar or microbrewery, but the prices have risen as well. The lunch and dinner menus are quite extensive, and the descriptions emphasis the locally grown ingredients-everything from nuts, wheat, vegetables and fruit, and meat and seafood. The prices range from $15-25 for the lunch entrées, and higher for dinner. We decided to try the artisan cheese taster, which was a selection of local cheeses, and fish cakes, and both choices were excellent. The prices for the appetizers were much lower and the portions were ...

• Spinnakers Gastro Brewpub and Guesthouses Victoria, BC
      fair.

My favourite feature was the suggestions for beer pairings to accompany the meals. My husband and I wanted to try a sampler of the beers, but they did not have such an offer, which we have grown accustomed to having at brew pubs. I had the India Pale Ale, which was excellent, and my husband’s choice, the Nut Brown Ale, was too dark for me but he enjoyed it. The selection of beer was very good, but this was the only brewpub that I have ever been to that did not have a sampler choice.

We were here during the off-season, so that may have been why. I think we may have spent longer at Spinnakers than we did, and we certainly would have tried more beer, if given the choice to sample a few.

While the additions of the guest houses and other locations, as well as a store, are nice feature of Spinnakers, and their promotion of local ingredients used in the products they serve is unique, the brewpub is not the best I have been to by a long shot. The experience was just okay, and I always hope for great.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 73004683070630/k2311a0430/4.30.09