Bahay Tsinoy museum Manila  » Entertainment  »
Kaisa Para Sa Kaunlaran Center, Intrmuros Manila
  • I thought it is a pity that they can no longer speak fluent Chinese nor be able to read and write Chinese texts
  • The museum paved the way for an awakening for students who find Chinese classes boring and useless

• by Kendrick

Bahay Tsinoy (Home of the Chinese-Filipino) is a museum located inside the Kaisa Para sa Kaularan Foundation in the walled city of Intramuros.

I would be certain that if I ask any people about the existence of this museum, he or she would just give me a blank face. Rarely do people know about this museum. It is not as prominent as the Ayala Museum and Yuchengco Museum both funded by the Philippines’

wealthiest individuals - Zobel and Yuchengco respectively.

Instead, Bahay Tsinoy is funded by the donations of the Filipino-Chinese like myself who believed that the history of the Filipino-Chinese in the Philippines should be made known to everyone with or without Chinese ancestry.

The influences of the Chinese trace back into the existence of the Early Filipinos. Imagine the depth of the relationship of the two races then that transpired until the present times.

• Being a Chinese myself, I take pride into the construction of the Museum.

Much of the local Chinese now have forgotten a lot about their ancestry (myself not included) and heritage. I thought it is a pity that they can no longer speak fluent Chinese nor be able to read and write Chinese texts. The museum paved the way for an awakening for students who find Chinese classes boring and useless.

It is

after all refreshing to know how and why the Chinese came to the Philippines and what lives they lived before. I felt proud on what my ancestors have achieved in the Philippines from the early settlers to the guerillas to the businessmen that have shaped and shook the Philippine society.

I recommend going there for a tour. Entrance fee is only Ps 100.00 and would take about two hours to fully appreciate the story.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 593004682820630/k2311a0430/4.30.09