Principal Financial Group
  • And, unfortunately, that's a move I am not too happy about
  • Let's be honest here, if you're not involved in that kind of thing on a daily basis, do you really know which investments are the best to put your money into
  • I've had to call them on a couple of different occasions and the first thing I noticed is I got a live person within a couple of minutes
  • I'm very impressed with this company and feel very comfortable trusting them with my money and, more importantly, my future

• by Steve

As I mentioned in an earlier review, the company I work for recently sold out to another company. Even though we all remained employed, some changes were made in our benefits; including our 401K accounts. Mostly they decided to end the company’s relationship with Principal Financial Group. And, unfortunately, that’s a move I am not too happy about.

I’ve had a 401K for several years but, it wasn’t until we moved the accounts to Principal that I first started understanding exactly what it was I was doing. There were a couple reasons I fell in love the Principal Financial Group. First, I could take either a hands on approach to my retirement fund or I could elect to have them manage the fund for me.

As hard

as this might be to believe, I actually felt more comfortable doing the latter. Let’s be honest here, if you’re not involved in that kind of thing on a daily basis, do you really know which investments are the best to put your money into? And, until the economy went to heck to the point everyone started losing money, my 401K was actually growing for the first time since I started it; an average of about 8% per year. If I wanted to keep track of my retirement savings, it was as easy as logging into their web site.

Between the spreadsheets and extensive analysis, I was able to see how my money was doing, where it could be improved and how fast it was growing. Everything

was easy to read too; I didn’t need to be a financial expert to understand it. What I’ll really miss about Principal Financial Group though is the customer service.

I’ve had to call them on a couple of different occasions and the first thing I noticed is I got a live person within a couple of minutes; I didn’t have to wait on hold forever or go through some sort of long automated voice mail to find the right department. You can’t imagine how much I appreciated that considering I spend all day on the phone at work and really don’t want to be on the phone more than I have to at home. For example, a year ago, I needed to take out a loan from ...

• Principal Financial Group
      my 401k to help pay off a big doctor bill.

I called expecting them to give me a lecture about why not to do that but, instead, the rep was quick to help me out over the phone. We did the sign up right then and they even made the arrangements with my work to have the loan deducted from my paycheck. It was a lot easier than I expected it to be and they were very friendly the whole time.

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been on with a customer service person who is short with me or goes out of their way to end the call simply because they don’t want to be working. If I had a question and didn’t want

to call in, all I had to do was send them an e-mail and I would have a detailed reply in a day. And, this is still continuing as I try to decide what to do with the money in my old 401K (cash it out or roll it over).

I’ve gotten more help from Principal itself through this transition than I’m getting from our new human resources person. That should tell you something. I personally think it’s a mistake that the company’s new owners are ending this business relationship.

But, I am considering continuing it on a personal basis by seeing what they have to offer me outside of the plan I had through work. I’m very impressed with this company and feel very comfortable trusting them with my money and, more importantly, my future.

Principal Financial Group

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 422804680670130/k2311a0428/4.28.09