Jack and the Beanstalk: The True Story  » TV  »
  • I don't know if I like how they exploited the deceased Jim Henson by claiming it was his show
  • I think that was a bit misleading because it almost made it sound like the movie was geared toward children
  • The plot is definitely an interesting take on the classic tale (much like the re-done version of the Wizard of Oz was a couple years ago) and the special affects were amazing

• by Steve

I’ve never seen the mini-series Jack and the Beanstalk: The True Story until tonight, when it was broadcast in its entirety. Overall, it was a good show.

I don’t know if I like how they exploited the deceased Jim Henson by claiming it was his show.

I think that was a bit misleading because it

almost made it sound like the movie was geared toward children.

In fact, it turned out to be a much darker version of the story; as a modern day executive has to come to grips with the fact he’s descended from the Jack in the story book and has to go back up the beanstalk ...

• to make amends to the giant’s family because his family became rich and successful by being thieves.

The plot is definitely an interesting take on the classic tale (much like the re-done version of the Wizard of Oz was a couple years ago) and the special affects were amazing.

My daughter was simply awestruck by

the dragon in one of the scenes.

My only real complaint is the show is a bit drawn out.

Overall, with commercials, the series took roughly 4 hours.

I think it could have been done in two.

But, if it does come on the air again, you can be certain I will make an effort to watch it again.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 102804680141230/k2311a0428/4.28.09