Harrison Hot Springs Resort and Spa  » Hotels  »
2.5
100 Esplanade Avenue, Harrison Hot Springs, BC, Canada
  • Sometimes, building something up in your mind is a risk, as you may well be disappointed
  • I have been to Harrison Hot Springs, BC, a quaint little tourist town about two hours from Vancouver, and enjoyed hiking, swimming and other activities

• by Jessie Bahrey

Once upon a time, when I was a child, my parents left me with my grandparents and celebrated their anniversary at the Harrison Hot Springs Resort and Spa. They came home relaxed and raving about the luxury, the view and the food. So many years later, I took my husband there for one of our anniversaries, for a much needed weekend of relaxing and enjoying nature. I was disappointed.

Sometimes, building something up in your mind is a risk, as you may well be disappointed. I have been to Harrison Hot Springs, BC, a quaint little tourist town about two hours from Vancouver, and enjoyed hiking, swimming and other activities. The entire town is built on the picturesque Harrison Lake, and I had always walked by the

Harrison Hot Springs Resort, located at one end of the town’s main road and right across from the water, with longing. I even ate dinner there once, and I remembered it being excellent. So I was quite excited to stay there.

When we checked in, we couldn’t help but notice a rather tired looking lobby, almost shabby in comparison to other luxury resorts. The hotel has been expanded, but even the new sections looked old. There is also little cottage style suites on the property, which has a beautiful garden, but those were not part of the weekend package I had purchased, which was a bit pricey at $349. But I had expected great things for that price, given that it was off-season (early spring), and that ...

• it included credits for the dining room. Our room did look out onto the lake, and it was quite large, but the décor was not what I have come to expect for luxury. It was clean enough, but the curtains and bed linens looked threadbare. The towels were hard, not soft and fluffy, and given that this room would have gone for $170 normally, one should expect a bit more. But, I was determined not to complain, and we immediately went downstairs to the pool area-the natural hot springs are piped into the pools, after filtering out the ‘rotten egg’ smell, and we were both looking forward to the soothing water. Much to our disappointment, children were in all of the pools, yelling, except for the
        adults-only pool. It was pretty, with stone walls, but we could still hear the yelling, so relaxing was out of the question. We did go back later on, well after 10pm, and had some peace.

Dinner in the dining room was only okay, for lack of a better term. I had salmon and my husband had halibut, and I have had better. We got a credit with our package, but the menu is horribly over-priced. The service throughout the hotel and the restaurant is good, but not particularly great. We did manage to relax, but this resort is not a luxury resort by any stretch of the imagination. The owners will have to do some updating and spend some money on linens and décor before it can be termed luxury.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 22804679691130/k2311a0428/4.28.09