Makeup Forever Pearly Waterproof Eye Shadow Pencil  » Cosmetics  »
  • Then when I visited the Sephora store on the Las Vegas strip last summer, I decided to go hunting for it
  • It's too subtle, I think, to wear just as a liner, although it looks lovely under the lower lashes to give a shimmering definition

• by asperchris

I had never heard of the brand Makeup Forever until I read in Allure magazine ages ago that they voted this Pearly Waterproof Eye Shadow Pencil the “Best Color” of any eye shadow product they’d tested. It was available at Sephora, but there wasn’t a store near me, but it stayed in the back of my mind for months. Then when I visited the Sephora store on the Las Vegas strip last summer, I decided to go hunting for it. So frustrating though, I couldn’t remember the brand name.

1 hour later, I’d gone through the store twice and nothing. I gave it one last go round and, miraculously, found Makeup Forever and their line of waterproof eye shadow pencils.

What became clear to me in this search is that there are not many companies out there offering this exact type of product, namely a versatile eye shadow pencil offering rich, waterproof color, and which may be used as a liner and/or an overall eye shadow pencil.

They offered only 5 shades in pencil form, ranging from a pearly golden pink , white, palest mauve to pale green and a luscious shimmering taupe, which had a deep, dark, rich pinkyness about it I immediately fell in love with. It will run you $18. It’s too subtle, I think, to wear just as a liner, although it looks lovely under the lower lashes to give a shimmering definition.

But I use it liberally ...

• over my entire eyelids for best effect. And I went out in the blazing Vegas heat wearing it and it had true staying power. Then I went swimming to really test it out.

Ta-dah! Still there. You can trust this stuff to stay on no matter what. One caveat: as with any eye shadow, you should (and I always do) dust some powder on my lids before applying, otherwise most of them end up creasing eventually.

So I didn’t try this one without powder, so can’t vouch for its anti-creasing powers there. I’m so in love with this shimmering taupe color, though. Goes with absolutely anything and everything.

If you are looking for a subtly,

/> pearly pinky-neutral shimmer that can take you anywhere, day or night, and won’t wash off in summer’s sweaty heat or poolside, get thee to your nearest Sephora (or order online). More companies need to offer a product this versatile. Be prepared to sharpen this pencil pretty frequently, though, or you’ll feel the edges scratching your eyelids.

I hate that. And I wish they’d print the color on the pencil, but it’s nowhere to be found, so you’d better remember what you bought. The last inch of the pencil is the same color as the shadow, but the name is nowhere to be found, so don’t get confused when you go back to buy a replacement (and you will be back for more, trust me.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 312604677161030/k2311a0426/4.26.09