Google Talk Application (Windows XP and Vista)  » Software  »
  • At a first glance I thought that it looked very basic, and it wouldn't be able to do lots of things
  • But sadly at this stage it's for only the bare minimum/ essential chat abilities etc. Most annoyingly I found that when it first came out, there was no ability to send any files to a recipient within the application, to my luck this feature has now been added in a refreshed beta
  • I would recommend this to anyone who uses Google Mail and indeed the inline chat, as it makes life so much simpler, and a lot faster for those who don't have a lot of time on their hands

• by internetwhizzkid

Google Talk Application (Windows XP and Vista) Google Talk is a new way in which you can IM and talk to your contacts on Google Mail. Google’s own attempt at the likes of Yahoo and MSN Messenger. Google Talk is available for users on Windows XP and Vista.

At a first glance I thought that it looked very basic, and it wouldn’t be able to do lots of things. But sadly at this stage it’s for only the bare minimum/ essential chat abilities etc.

Most annoyingly I found that when it first came out, there was no ability to send any files to a recipient within the application, to my luck this feature has now been added in a refreshed beta. A feature which I am sure lots of people use when they are logged into Yahoo or MSN.

All that I have done at the moment is send

IM messages to online contacts, and then talk to them with a microphone should I want to or need to. Nothing much more that I would want to do really.

After all I find that the likes of MSN and Yahoo are completely bloatware, they can be very slow, bundled with extra non needed features, and they are wriggled with annoying advertisements. Thankfully Google Talk gets to the point and has you talking to your friends and family in no time.

It is most certainly one of the lightest and fastest IM clients that I have used. And once again like the competition it has the same simple features like alerts of new email messages, alerts of online and offline contacts, and alerts of messages being sent to you.

If I had the choice I would just use this application and nothing else for IM, it’s not like to ...

• make such a decision considering that the software is still in beta (unofficial and for testing purposes) It’s just a real shame that 99. 9% of everyone I talk to is on MSN, and Google Talk fails to yet give me the ability to talk to others on other networks in the same one application.

OK I could use a universal client like Pigeon/GAIM but they are too slow and basic for my liking. For those who talk to people on the chat function built into their email inboxes, it is just like that other than it has a few more vital features, and it’s a desktop version, so there is no need to be logged into your emails with your web browser open all the time.

A great bonus for me. I honestly do like Google Talk even at this early stage, and it will be great to see what

extras Google will add in the months to come.

I would recommend this to anyone who uses Google Mail and indeed the inline chat, as it makes life so much simpler, and a lot faster for those who don’t have a lot of time on their hands. Within an instant the application is up and running as soon as you log in to windows, completely seamless.

And of course the software is 100% free so you can’t go wrong there, if you don’t like it you just uninstall, but if you like it as much as what I have you won’t want to uninstall it. If however you want to talk to users of Yahoo and MSN this application will not work for you at this stage, you will have to use some other software  lets hope it becomes universal soon, and that it supports other Operating Systems such as Linux and MAC OSX.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 302304676651230/k2311a0423/4.23.09