Yamaha PSR290 61-Key Portable Keyboard
  • I like the dual voice feature, so I can have two instruments simultaneously on the right hand (combination of string and stroke)
  • Even though it is meant to be for beginners, it has facility for two track recording, so I learned how to record my performance
  • The only problem is that the accompaniment function can not be closed for some time when I am using external beat, it comes up every time when I change the instrument in the middle of a song
  • The major disadvantage with this keyboard is that you it does not have single touch instrument/voice change in case you want o change from flute to guitar in the middle of the melody

• by dbhattji

I wanted to start learning a musical instrument at the age of 45, My teacher said that learning keybord would be the easiest at this age and it would compliment my vocal practice. We went and bought a Yamaha PSR290 Keyboard for INR. 14,500 in 2004.

It was a semi professional model, Not good for live programs but ideal for learning keyboard and practice. It was a sleek piece with a silver body and inbuilt speakers.

This is very good for practice because it has many styles

(beats) which have facility for tempo, signature can be chosen according to the song. It has more than 150 instruments (voice) and DJ styles, including some Indian instruments like santur, sitar.

I like the dual voice feature, so I can have two instruments simultaneously on the right hand (combination of string and stroke. ) Even though it is meant to be for beginners, it has facility for two track recording, so I learned how to record my performance.

It has a touch response feature, louder sound when you press hard and soft sound when you press softly. so if you like to get the piano like music, you can use this feature.

There are many popular songs that can be learned in the learning mode, which teaches left and right hand separately. It has a midi outlet so I can connect it to my laptop for online recording and to write midi notations.

It has inbuilt accompaniment, so all you have to do is press the chord root and you get nice accompaniment along ...

• Yamaha PSR290 61-Key Portable Keyboard
      with a different instrument in the left hand through the split function. The only problem is that the accompaniment function can not be closed for some time when I am using external beat, it comes up every time when I change the instrument in the middle of a song.

The major disadvantage with this keyboard is that you it does not have single touch instrument/voice change in case you want o change from flute to guitar in the middle of the melody. To overcome this problem

I program two instruments in each style and one instrument in the split mode, so at any time I have access to three instruments which can be availed at single touch.

In spite of these limitations I have not only learned to play but have also performed in many informal gatherings. Even though I have been using it for the last 4 years,but the only maintenance it needed was a change of IC, last month.

All in all, thi model is one of the finest Yamaha model for beginners and amateur players like me.

tom mcewan says :

what amp is the yamaha psr 290 and what size of power adapter do i need

Galega says :

You are required to use a 12V Power Adapter for this Yamaha PSR290 61. It is easily available in the market and you can use a third party product.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in April, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 162304675140930/k2311a0423/4.23.09